Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do i need to meassure?

1. Back To Top    #1

what do i need to meassure?

so guys i use a baby bottle to measssure out the ammount of bleach i need to add to my pool but, is there there something better? i use the baby bottle cause it has ounces 1 - 9 on it, other things i found skip numbers by two......so whats better or what do you guys use? thanks so much
    2 year old 14x48 intex ultra frame
    -----------------------------------------
    intex 633 pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what do i need to meassure?

That's as good as anything else if you can measure up to how much you need per addition with it to reach target level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

i use one of the wife's old measuring cups that she never used because it was graduated in ounces instead of cups....

you can get a decent measuring cup in the Housewares section at walmart for a couple bucks. it would be a lot easier than a baby bottle. just make sure its in ounces.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

this is what I use. Glass measuring cup. And Ball Jar. You can find these at WalMart
    cup.jpg
    jar.jpg
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

5. Back To Top    #5

Mason jars should only be used to measure beer or shine!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use glass here too, a 32 oz version. Just don't drop it on the cement/pavers!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a plastic measuring cup I bought at the -gasp- pool store. Unbreakable. Plus I can read the graduiations from the inside out from above, when I'm holding the acid jug far away from my face.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gtnos View Post
    you can get a decent measuring cup in the Housewares section at walmart for a couple bucks. it would be a lot easier than a baby bottle. just make sure its in ounces.
    I think I paid all of $1 for a plastic measuring cup from WalMart that is marked in single ounce increments up to 40oz. I can't fathom measuring out acid additions into a baby bottle...
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I vote for the plastic measuring cup from Walmart. I'm not allowed to have glass in the pool area as I am a certified clutz.......I can produce evidence of that certification.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

My only worry about plastic was if muriatic acid would have any issues in it. Since there are different types of plastics I wasn't sure.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

11. Back To Top    #11

I use a 2 1/2 cup plastic measuring cup. I was having a hard time seeing the lines on the side so I just used a sharpie to make a mark at 10 and 20 oz. I usually add 20-25 oz. When I need 5 I just eyeball it between the 4 and 6 oz. I think I usually end up with 26 oz when I do that.

I added a step though. I keep my bleach in the kitchen and measure it out in there so instead of trying to carry that small cup of bleach, I set it in my special bleach bucket! (It's a pretty pink bucket I got on clearance at target because I like to buy stuff.)

If I need more than 20 oz I measure the smaller amount (usually 5 oz) dump it in the bucket then measure the 20oz and just sit the cup (full of 20 oz) in there and carry the bucket to the pool. I use the cup to pour it into the pool because it makes a nice small stream so I don't add to quickly.

Main reason for the bucket is so I don't risk spilling the bleach on me when I'm walking out to the pool. I'm sure the one day I only need 20oz and I try to walk with that cup full I'll trip on something stupid and bleach will go everywhere!

*edit* I've never had to use acid before so I don't know about what I'd use for that!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    My only worry about plastic was if muriatic acid would have any issues in it. Since there are different types of plastics I wasn't sure.
    Wondering too because I bought a plastic one to use this year.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I've got dry and liquid acid in plastic containers.... I do believe its a special non corrosive plastic.... HDPE I think?
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

14. Back To Top    #14

all good ideas its just on a lot of things it jumps from 10 oz to 15 or 20 oz.....i hate having to eyeball things is all
    intex 633 pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by queeniepaula View Post
    all good ideas its just on a lot of things it jumps from 10 oz to 15 or 20 oz.....i hate having to eyeball things is all
    4 oz of acid changes my ph by 0.04-- I don't sweat an ounce or 2. 7.4, 7.5, 7.6 so what?
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

17. Back To Top    #17

Cheap plastic measuring cup from Target for me. No issues.

I haven't seen anyone say it, and I hope it would be obvious, but rinse that cup out really, really well with pool water in-between chemicals. You never, ever want liquid chlorine to come in contact with muriatic acid.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

18. Back To Top    #18

thanks for the link....i like the idea of this jugIMG_4045_opt.jpg guess ill have to look up in pool math how much bleach gets me to 1 ppm, 2ppm and so on huh and put that on the side of a jug....guess a gallon water bottle would work btw i forgot is 4 or 5 ppm the target FC? and what happens if at some time i might be at 6 or so? im guessing its not a huge deal cause 10 and more is shock level right?
    intex 633 pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Mason jars should only be used to measure beer or shine!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

20. Back To Top    #20

I don't get why you people think in ounces (exception for DaneCE--kudos!). What a waste of time. Use ppm. I always use 12.5% LC so I use a DE scoop that is marked in ppm FC. 1 ppm FC for my size pooll is about an inch down from the top. The mark is a scratch, because LC will bleach out any known marker. MA comes in one gallon bottles. On my size pool, one-third of a bottle corresponds to one drop of acid demand reagent in the Taylor system which nobody on here uses but I prefer. Never need to calculate for FC and MA--just do it once and as long as your pool size and chem concentration doesn't change you never do it again. KISS. I save PoolCalc for my Sunday check of all chemicals.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast