Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ladder Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Ladder Removal

I have an inground pool. I had it installed about 2 years ago. This is the first time I've needed to remove the ladder in the deep end. I started by lifting the domes on the legs, and removing the long bolt that was going into the concrete. I tried wiggling and lifting up on each side, also had a helper assist, but it didn't even move. The legs in the water came up a bit, but that was it.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a release, or something that I am supposed to be pushing? Looking into where the bolts came out of, I can see a white round piece, which I guess attaches to the cup, but nothing that is holding.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ladder Removal

Welcome to TFP! Although I can not assist you, someone should be around soon to help!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

What you did is everything needed to remove the ladder from my own inground pool. I just loosen the bolts and pull the ladder up. The bolts essentially close a clamp the holds the ladder.

I would say try a rubber mallet, as it's probably just stuck, but am hesitant to officially suggest that until and unless at least one pool professional here (Jason?) agrees with me.

Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am not a pool professional but I need a rubber mallet with mine. I have to hit it harder than I really like to, but you can eventually wiggle it loose.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The bolts pull up a wedge that locks the rail in place. Put the screw back in a few threads and tap it down to push the wedge down.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The bolts pull up a wedge that locks the rail in place. Put the screw back in a few threads and tap it down to push the wedge down.
    That and I had to unbolt and remove the 3 stairs so I could twist each rail back and forth to remove mine. But they may have been there since the pool was built in '83. I bought it in foreclosure 4 years ago.
    10k Gallon, IG Kafko Vinyl Liner (8/1/12), 200# Sand w/ 1 hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Taylor K2006
    3 4x12 Heliocol East facing + 3 4x12 Heliocol West facing 2015
    Robert from Sunny Southern Oregon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    This is what you need to do. Loosening the screw leaves the wedges pulled up tight. A little tap pushes them down and loosens them.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi jimi... Just stopping in for an update to see if you removed your ladder?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for checking in. I can get one side to come up, but the other side won't move. It will wiggle a bit, but other than that, no movement. I wonder if when it was installed some concrete got in the leg? I thought they set the legs after it cured, but just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Hi jimi... Just stopping in for an update to see if you removed your ladder?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

tap it with that rubber mallet while you are wiggling it and lifting upward.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, I tried that this morning before work, and the one side just will not move. You're in Raleigh... come down to Wilmington and give me a hand! haha

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    tap it with that rubber mallet while you are wiggling it and lifting upward.