Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with Baker sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with Baker sand filter

Are there any tips on how to get the dome lid off the top of a old Baker sand filter? The cover appears to be a synthetic material of some type with 4 fins on top. I just broke the fins off trying to get into the filter. I need to replace the lower outlet gasket.

If times were better I'd replace the filter, but I'd like to keep this one going for a few more years. I replaced the motor and pump about 2-1/2 years ago and at the end of last season I had to replace the bearing in the motor; seems like the new stuff doesn't last.
    20 x 40 Vinyl, w/ Pentair 1 hp pump & Hayward 24" top mount filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with Baker sand filter

Any chance you can post a picture of what you have? Google leads me to a single picture of a lid with fins on it, and a site selling gigantic commercial filters.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Let me get one and I'll post it.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the cover off about 2 weeks ago, it was put back together using super lube on the mating surfaces and O ring.
    Since I broke the fins off, I am trying to add some grip points by attaching 2 aluminum squares to the top using epoxy. The epoxy is still setting up so I don’t know how successful the glue will be.

The epoxy set and I attempted to put some pressure on the squares to unscrew the lid. The epoxy is stronger than the lit material, the squares popped off with a little of the lid material still attached. Unless someone has a better idea, my next step is to drill 4 holes and tap them for some bolts. After (if) I get the lit off; I'll thread them from the inside with some gasket material.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by reeltor; 05-10-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added latest results