Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new fiberglass pool with cracks above water line

1. Back To Top    #1

philadelphia PA

Brand new fiberglass pool with cracks above water line

We just had our fiberglass pool installed. We haven't even begun to use it but everything is now completed including concrete decking. Yesterday while cleaning and scrubbing the sides we noted 2 cracks. We immediately contacted our pool builder and sent photos. The first reply was basically that the "marks" (they referred to them as marks when they are cracks) were caused by the mold?? We do not buy this and replied that they are cracks where you can feel a popped out edge when running your finger over the cracks. He said they could re-gel coat it but the color may not match. I replied that any unsightly repair on a brand new pool is not an option. The other company owner then replied that a gel coat crack is an easy fix and said you just sand, gel coat and buff. They are saying it is not structural. They also said if I purchased tiles the epoxy would seal the cracks and the tiles would cover them.

We do not want to spend more money to fix a problem that shouldn't even be there. I am very distraught over the whole situation. I don't know why the cracks are there and I don't want an ugly fix or an inadequate fix.

The pool is a Leisure brand, Riviera 34'. They did a 3/8" gravel bed, back filled while filling with water, leveled it several times. I just don't know what happened to cause these cracks. I also don't want anything done that would void our warranty with Leisure.

Here are the cracks- any thoughts? Advice?

And close up of 2nd crack

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Brand new fiberglass pool with cracks above water line

Well, calling them "marks" is a load of you-know-what. Keep on them....
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

North East Ohio

Hard to say what caused them but hiding them with tile is a disaster asking to happen

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Sacramento, CA

I'm not sure if those are cosmetic or more serious. If you PB is good, he probably could fill them and make them disappear.

I would be more concerned with the why. I suspect they are caused by settlement of your deck substrate after it was poured. The weight of the deck is pushing down on the lip of the pool causing cracking. That is little more than a guess.

I would have a third party inspect your pool and tell you what is wrong. Someone who knows something about fiberglass pools. Maybe a pool structural engineer.

I would also notify the pool manufacturer about the problem.

You shouldn't have this and they should fix it --- now.

I would also withhold the final payment.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5
    TFP Guide
    Odessa, TX

If the builder doesn't start being more upfront and honest I'd call the manufacturer for assistance.

I know nothing about fiberglass pools, so I won't even try to guess.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

St. Louis, Mo

Any update on this? We are planning to get Leisure Mediterranean and would like to know how the dealer/manufacturer handled your situation. Thanks.