Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st water test; New Fill; 1st time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

1st water test; New Fill; 1st time pool owner

My very first pool is installed and should be finished filling today.
    Since the water level is now within reach, I did a complete test of it with my new TF-100 kit

Here are the results; assuming I did everything correctly:

FC: 0.5
    CC: 1.5
    TC: 2.0
    CH: 50
    TA: 40
    PH: 7.2
    CYA: 0

The bleach that I bought and will be using is the store brand from Target. Its regular bleach, 121 oz jug and says Active Ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite 8.25%, Other Ingredient 91.75%, Yields 7.86% Available Chlorine-----is that the number I should use in PoolMath (7.86%)?

Trying to determine what I will need to add to my water once its full and ready.
    Thanks
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st water test; New Fill; 1st time pool owner

Plug 8.25% into Poolmath.

While you're at Target, pick up some Borax and some Baking Soda to raise pH and TA a little. I'd target 7.4 pH and 70 TA. If you overshoot a little because the pool volume is slightly off, it's no big deal. If you undershoot, it's easy to add more.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Roger that. Thanks Richard
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

4. Back To Top    #4

You also need to add 30+ppm of CYA ... you can find the stabilizer/conditioner at Walmart.

I think I would skip the borax and just raise the TA some with baking soda, pH will generally climb on its own.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

..and just to be clear, I put the CYA in a sock in the skimmer and leave it alone until its empty, correct?
    If that is right, after its dispersed, how long do I wait until I retest CYA?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you leave your pump on 24/7 that is fine. Or hang it in front of the return jet. Give it a few squeezes every so often.

Once it is dissolved, assume it is active (to determine your FC levels), but do not test for a week.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, thanks. One more question about PoolMath, since I have 0 CYA, its only computing a "goal" of 1-3ppm FC for me. Is that right? It only because I have no CYA. Should I instead add the correct amount of bleach for a "goal" of 5 FC instead?

8. Back To Top    #8

Until the CYA is in the water, just keep the FC up to around 2ppm. As it dissolves, you can raise it up to 5ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Will do..I appreciate it!