Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old filter sand - up close!

1. Back To Top    #1

Old filter sand - up close!

I think it's time for new filter sand? My PSI climbs from 15 to 20-25 in a matter of days, and my water is quite clean. I just did the deep clean last night and noticed my sand has been warn down into tiny smooth spheres! I don't know how old it is but I brought a sample into work to take a look at under the scope and share with you guys here.

On a side note, what does the air relief tube do? I pulled it out to get the diffuser off last night abut just kinda stuck it back in when I was done. Where is the end of the tube supposed to go?
    Last edited by chjade84; 05-09-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added better quality photos
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old filter sand - up close!

What would be awesome is what new sand looks like just to get a comparison

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    What would be awesome is what new sand looks like just to get a comparison

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Yes it would! When I get some, I'll make sure to add it!
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We never suggest changing the sand. It comes to you millions of years old already so 20 years in a pool has little affect.
    My PSI climbs from 15 to 20-25 in a matter of days, and my water is quite clean.
    That simply means your sand is catching particles and the particles are adding resistance to your system.

Posting a complete set of test results is the first step but your water is not perfectly clear or you wouldn't have the psi increase.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

That is incredibly cool.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    We never suggest changing the sand. It comes to you millions of years old already so 20 years in a pool has little affect.That simply means your sand is catching particles and the particles are adding resistance to your system.

Posting a complete set of test results is the first step but your water is not perfectly clear or you wouldn't have the psi increase.
    I suppose it could be catching the plaster "dust" that was created after the acid wash. I've noticed I can brush the bottom and a bunch of "dust" will get kicked up. My new robot has filters that catch it and I rinse out a bunch of what looks like sand from its filters after every use.

Tests from last night are:

FC: 4
    CC: <.5
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 80
    CH: 275
    CYA: 15-ish?

I've just added more CYA a few days ago so I'm still waiting on it to register properly. I'm out of reagent for the test though... just waiting for it to get here...

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, plaster dust could well account for the fairly rapid pressure rise.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Yes, plaster dust could well account for the fairly rapid pressure rise.
    I guess now that I think about it, that makes sense...

Any tricks for dealing with it?

9. Back To Top    #9

Not really. The dust shouldn't last all that long. Brushing regularly will help clear it up more quickly. While it does last, you just need to backwash more frequently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

New sand looks a lot like old sand

Think of sand grains like tiny river rocks...they've been beat to heck for a very long time getting from wherever they came from to wherever they were deposited while getting carried down a mountain then a stream and then a river.

"New" sand:
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by freqz View Post
    New sand looks a lot like old sand

Think of sand grains like tiny river rocks...they've been beat to heck for a very long time getting from wherever they came from to wherever they were deposited while getting carried down a mountain then a stream and then a river.

"New" sand:

I guess I was thinking new sand would look more like this "Lumber Yard" sand:

Or this sand from Guam:

But... neither of those are pool grade silica sand.

12. Back To Top    #12

The pool grade sand will be a lot closer to frac sand which will typically be pretty 'round'.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I gotta say, this is a cool thread. It really does support the standing theory that pool sand doesn't "go bad".
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for posting..........very interesting. Kinda backs up our suggestion of not needing to "change" the filter sand.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

15. Back To Top    #15

The pool grade sand will be a lot closer to frac sand which will typically be pretty 'round'.
    Where does the pool sand come from? Why is it round?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Thanks for posting..........very interesting. Kinda backs up our suggestion of not needing to "change" the filter sand.
    If I can get my hands on some new filter sand, we can really compare!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Want me to mail you an envelope full? :P I have bags of it stacked, ready to go into my filter.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

17. Back To Top    #17

- - - Updated - - -

Same way a river rock is round...

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    Want me to mail you an envelope full? :P I have bags of it stacked, ready to go into my filter.
    Haha surely I can find some around here. Can you imagine what the post office would think about that? Just a letter envelope with a tablespoon of sand in it and nothing else? lol

Same way a river rock is round...
    Well sure, but I guess I meant why is this silica sand round while other sands are jagged? Is it more a property of silica or a property of where it is found vs. "normal" sand?

19. Back To Top    #19

EDIT:

I didn't think as many people would find this as interesting as I did!

So, I took photos with the DSLR instead of the cheap scope camera so you can see the grains in more detail.

20. Back To Top    #20

Haha surely I can find some around here. Can you imagine what the post office would think about that? Just a letter envelope with a tablespoon of sand in it and nothing else? lol

Well sure, but I guess I meant why is this silica sand round while other sands are jagged? Is it more a property of silica or a property of where it is found vs. "normal" sand?
    It all depends on how long/how far it took to get from where it came from to where somebody dug it up. Some application you want more angular sand, for some you rounder sand. Filtering is one of those instances where you'd prefer the rounder variety. (angular pieces fit together in weird ways and could make your filter either too permeable or not permeable enough)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast