2 inch pipe on an Intex Pool

laceygirl

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Dec 31, 2013
Canberra Australia
I was wondering would there be a problem if I used 2 inch hose to plumb my intex pool. The usual size is the 1 1/2 inch, but the suction and returns I just installed, are all 2 inches, so instead of reducing everything down to 1 1/2, is this plausible/safe? My pump and cartridge come with both 2 inch and 1 1/2 inch connectors, but I'm thinking more flow this way? And less stuffing around with reducers and such....

Thanks Laceygirl... :)

There should be no problems... that I foresee in going with the 2".

Yes 2" can be used on your pool, quite well. Suction side will work a little better with the larger pipe, less suction head loss.

On the return side, I don't think it will matter much which side you use, with short runs. If you are planning on long runs or needing a lot of bends in the pipes, 2" would be better.

Cool thanks guys.... I have one long run from the skimmer.... Its about 10m, but relative to what size most pools are, its not very long... That makes me feel better... ;)

The trade off for plumbing ease however, is 2 inch hose is a little more expensive than 1 1/2' and so are ball valves, but it means I don't have to do any complicated plumbing.... My pool has two suction sides, and one return as per Aussie regulations..., I plan to add the skimmer, turn one of the suctions into another return, so I will have two suctions and two returns... :) Nothing too difficult, so all I will need are 4 x 2' ball valves, 3 x 90 degree 2' pvc elbows, and about 20 metres of 50mm pvc hose... And about 12 x 2' stainless steel hose clamps.... Too easy....:cool:

And to bother you good people again.... If someone could tell me the plumbing I will need, in order to add my 3/8' peristaltic pump hose directly into my soft pvc hose return, that would be awesome... I am not sure what parts I need... Any advice is appreciated... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.