Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filler Valves - Rebuild or replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filler Valves - Rebuild or replace?

Don't know if this belongs in this forum or over in "build", but:

It is now to the point that I'm leaking over 2 gals/min from the filler whenever I turn it on. While this is still (at least slightly) less that in getting to the pool, I' rather just fix it.

All I can find on it (or what ever I assume is a cover of a diaphragm of some sort). is
    Code:
    Champion
    3/4"
    Los Angeles
    Calif
    Sine the USPS switched to 2-digit state codes a least a few years before this was built, I'm assuming it is something the builder had in "old stock".

Attempting to google, I find constant references to "rebuilt kits".

Is the norm to fix the current, or replace when the leak gets to this level?

Again, much gratitude for the help here.

p.s. - replacement filter is in - if I can get water level above mid-skimmer, will try it out...

Can a kludge be built out of a gate valve and an anti-siphon device?
    Yes. probably much more expensive and time-consuming, but is it possible?
    Last edited by happyheathen; 05-08-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling; added Q
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filler Valves - Rebuild or replace?

I'm not sure I understand. This is a toilet-float type autofill, that doesn't shut off when it should? If so, the first thing is to adjust the float so it shuts off earlier (you've probably already tried this). I ended up needing to replace mine, which was as easy as going to Lowes and buying a new float and float valve, and screwing it into the wall. If that's not what you're talking about, can you post a picture?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a plain-old manual valve, about identical to those used on larger diameter pipes. All I've seen so far even have the little "+" knob used with irrigation techs with their fork-prong remote openings and closing of them.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks to be a sprinkler system control, but with higher build tolerances, for those with centrally-controlled sprinkler systems.
    Dave
    Sacramento