Pool Draining Question

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hello, we've decided that the repairs needed to our pool are going to be too costly to be worth the trouble, so we are going to purchase a new pool. I am currently draining the old pool via garden hose siphon. It's been draining for around 8 hours, and so far so good - I can walk just a couple feet from the end of the hose and the ground is dry. My pool is ~18,500 gallons. My yard is about 4/5 of an acre. Is this enough to hold that much water? The water is draining steadily, but it seems like it's going to take a couple days to completely drain. I just want to make sure that this much water going into my yard in the course of a couple days is possible without flooding. It's staying in my yard, there are no neighbors behind me so if it does run out of my yard, it's just going to go into a field. Any thoughts? Thanks!

One garden hose draining by siphon is going to empty the pool pretty slowly. The ground should be able to absorb the water if there have not been significant rains lately. You can move the hose around the yard to distribute the water more evenly.

This may be obvious, but it may not so I'll say it anyway. Your flow rate will drop as water level drops, especially if the end of the hose isn't substantially below pool bottom level. It may be worth your while to drain with several hoses to multiple places then when the flow rate drops too much (depends on your topography, if you happen to have a cliff on your property then ignore all my advice) you can connect the hoses end to end and maybe get to a lower elevation.

Also, if you have an 18,500 gallon pool that is the equivalent of less than two inches of rain spread across 30,000 square feet if divided even close to equally. If your grass is green and your temps are warm at all half of that will evaporate at the rates you will be applying it.

Thanks to both of you. I do have only one hose right now but it is two hoses connected. I might try using both at the same time. How far away should the hoses be from the pool when draining?

Fortunately, I do not have a cliff on my property, but it is slightly downhill. Also, thanks for the rainfall comparison, it's helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.