Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFPC for Beginners ... which kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFPC for Beginners ... which kit?

Split by moderator. Please ask questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle

So, I am getting a smaller pool. 18 foot round above ground. I will get pool filled by a water company.

Which test kit should I start with. I'm assuming the water will be at good levels when it's filled.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFPC for Beginners ... which kit?

Hi MermaidMama,

the recommended test kits are the Taylor K2006 and the TF100. No matter how many gallons your pool will have, you will need to test for certain
    things, and both of the kits do the trick.

Up front the K2006 cost a little less than the TF-100, however, the TF 100 has more of the needed regents in it so you can do way more tests with the TF 100 than you can with the Taylor kit without running out of test regents. So really the TF 100 is the best overall deal.

both are available at www.tftestkits.net
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

FWIW The speedsitr device will pay for itself in savings to your wrist.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Dave! I think I'll go with the TF-100 then. I'm so new to this. Even reading the Pool School and getting started, I need to see the kit in my hands and get a better feel. I know I'll have more questions. Ha! ��

What is a speedsitr?

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a mixer. Instead of swirling the regents together, it does it for you. I love mine as do a lot of members but it's not necessary.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Another vote for speedstir!

The best kit is EITHER As stated, TF100 comes with more reagent. TFTestkits.net is the best place to order from.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

7. Back To Top    #7

You guys make me want a speedstir! I think it's a side effect of my sparklypoolitis. I just want to get something because I'm bored. (I could try to fix that leak again but I don't feel up to it right now...)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

The speedstir is a wonderful device, but not necessary, my only advice is don't try one unless you plan to buy it, because you will be hooked like the rest of us.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    The speedstir is a wonderful device, but not necessary, my only advice is don't try one unless you plan to buy it, because you will be hooked like the rest of us.

Yep... what he said.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    You guys make me want a speedstir! I think it's a side effect of my sparklypoolitis. I just want to get something because I'm bored. (I could try to fix that leak again but I don't feel up to it right now...)
    Get it. Every time I test my FC I feel like Walter White.

Jesse, let's bleach.
    ~26k ~16'x40' in-ground vinyl (the big green monster) - Hayward MaxFlo II 1HP pump - Jacuzzi sand filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump - TF-100 + Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Haaaahahaha. Awesome!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

With my big ol barrels of chemicals I'm worried the Feds will look at me like Walter White HA
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

13. Back To Top    #13

Just ordered my TF-100!!! Now I just need the pool in! Can't wait. I'll be Walter White'ing it, no speedstir for me...YET. ��

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ssmartt View Post
    Get it. Every time I test my FC I feel like Walter White.

Jesse, let's bleach.
    Haha! Well played, sir!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

Just got my TF-100 test kit. Whoo hoo. No pool to practice in yet. HOPING next week.

The pool store included chemical start up package. Being my first pool, I have no clue and will be learning each step of the way. Will the chemicals they supply be enough to get started? Anything I should have handy?

Looking through this test kit got me a bit nervous. Hope I am a semi-pro in no time.
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

16. Back To Top    #16

TFPC for Beginners ... which kit?

I would start reading these articles from pool school.
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Levels
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool
    Some of the start up chem's you won't need if any.
    In the meantime you can practice some of the tests on your fill water if your using your own water. That way you can determine some of those levels. PH, TA, CH. Your tap water will have no CYA.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

17. Back To Top    #17

OK, so I have read pool school like three times. Something new takes each time. I was telling the hubby about this and he looked at me like "huh? Sooooo we are not using the free chemical package." I told him no, we should start with the TFP Method from the gitgo. He said "we just pour bleach in our pool?" Same thing I thought when I read it the first time. Then I explained how the pool supply stores just change the names, add some extras we don't need and mark the price up. He's on board. ��

So, after reading, it looks like we just need to buy a few jugs of bleach (8% to 12%) and I should probably have some borax on hand.

I also read through my testing kit a couple times. CANNOT wait to use it. Pool will be put in this week or next, so I'm hoping when it us in and it's hands on, it will become more clear and natural. I'm ready to get hands on.

So, bleach and borax to start?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jeff!!! A water company through the pool company are coming and filling the pool, so it won't be my water. I CANNOT wait to start testing. Got a little notebook ready to keep my levels and notes in each day.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    I would start reading these articles from pool school.
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Levels
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool
    Some of the start up chem's you won't need if any.
    In the meantime you can practice some of the tests on your fill water if your using your own water. That way you can determine some of those levels. PH, TA, CH. Your tap water will have no CYA.
    MermaidMama

18. Back To Top    #18

Why do you need borax on hand? What makes you think you need to raise the pH?

Why not use your kit to test your fill water? (no need for the CYA test though, it is 0)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMama View Post
    OK, so I have read pool school like three times. Something new takes each time. I was telling the hubby about this and he looked at me like "huh? Sooooo we are not using the free chemical package." I told him no, we should start with the TFP Method from the gitgo. He said "we just pour bleach in our pool?" Same thing I thought when I read it the first time. Then I explained how the pool supply stores just change the names, add some extras we don't need and mark the price up. He's on board. ��

So, after reading, it looks like we just need to buy a few jugs of bleach (8% to 12%) and I should probably have some borax on hand.

I also read through my testing kit a couple times. CANNOT wait to use it. Pool will be put in this week or next, so I'm hoping when it us in and it's hands on, it will become more clear and natural. I'm ready to get hands on.

So, bleach and borax to start?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jeff!!! A water company through the pool company are coming and filling the pool, so it won't be my water. I CANNOT wait to start testing. Got a little notebook ready to keep my levels and notes in each day.
    So excited for you. TFP method works. Last year I had extremely high CYA, started this year w algae bloom. Pool store sold me $200 of products that bleached my liner. When I first got my test kit I was so intimidated I cried. Didn't think I'd figure it out. Didn't take me anytime to learn. Now I love testing my pool and my pool is crystal clear thanks to TFP. Haven't been to a pool sotre in months and don't plan on it unless it's for equipment or a float!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

20. Back To Top    #20

I guess your right, I don't need it. I read people needing it to fix or slam their pool. I just find it crazy that all I need to start is bleach. Like I said I'm a 100% newbie. Take it easy on me. ha!

I don't have my pool in yet or my fill water. I could test my water, but it would just be practice as it won't be what's filling the pool. A water company is coming out with a truck and filling it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Why do you need borax on hand? What makes you think you need to raise the pH?

Why not use your kit to test your fill water? (no need for the CYA test though, it is 0)
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes!!! Exactly how I felt when I saw my test kit. Thanks for sharing, helps put me at ease that I can be posting similar comments in the near future. This is a really big purchase, don't want to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    So excited for you. TFP method works. Last year I had extremely high CYA, started this year w algae bloom. Pool store sold me $200 of products that bleached my liner. When I first got my test kit I was so intimidated I cried. Didn't think I'd figure it out. Didn't take me anytime to learn. Now I love testing my pool and my pool is crystal clear thanks to TFP. Haven't been to a pool sotre in months and don't plan on it unless it's for equipment or a float!
    MermaidMama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast