Newbie - need some help

Yaniv

Gold Supporter
May 7, 2014
San Jose, CA
Hi All,

I am new, but i read a lot here and getting smarter by the minute. Thanks you!

I do have a question about how to level my yard.

I bought an Intex 18X9X52, i am wondering if i can level the ground by putting cement/pavement blocks on top of it?
the ground is already close to being leveled, I need to remove the grass {i assume i'll do it with a sod cutter}, i read people adding sand on top, i don't want to go that road and i am thinking of blocks.

What do you think?

I'm thinking you still need to lay a level down and or a laser/water level before you assume the ground is level. It may look it but 9 chances out of 10, it is not level and you'll have to remove the high side. Using pavers as a base is not such a great idea. The liner is going to sink into the creases and could tear from the blocks. You really need a sand and or soft base to protect the liner. A lot of people have used foam insulation boards from Lowes and or Home Depot.

Welcome to TFP.

Welcome to TFP!

You are going to have to use either sand or extruded foam insulation board under your pool.

If your yard looks level, it probably isn't. A 4' level with a straight 10' 2x4 will show you this. Once you have seen how much your yard slopes, you can start at the lowest spot and level to that. Please don't make the mistake of thinking you can fill in the low with soil from the high, it won't work. Within a weeks time of the pool sitting on it, your fill area will have slumped, taking your pool out of level, and possibly causing it to collapse.

Reactions: nick2788
Thanks

Here we go

2wrkkmf.jpg

Yes, that would be the way to go. As stated in the other reply, using fill will only cause problems. I made that mistake the first time I set up our pool. Pain in the back, yes, but worth it with a pool that stays where you want it.

Looking good! If you get a minute after playing in the dirt tonight, update your profile with your location and your signature with your new pool info... and then read pool school! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As Richard posted... Yes, you need to go off that low point and remove dirt down to it. You just can't build up a pool and expect it to hold under thousands of lbs of pressure (weight). Good Luck! The foundation is the most crucial and toughest job!

Most of the area is leveled except for one part which is low ~2inch
What do i do? do i need to lower everything because of tha
You can fill that area if you do it correctly. The fill material can not be the dirt you scraped off and it can not be sand which will wash away.

Most quarries make a product called "screening" (or something like that) it is essentially rock dust with small rocks in it not bigger than 1/4 inch. That is easily compacted, will not compact further and, if you do it carefully, will not "wash out" underneath your pool.

Place some kind of barrier around the bottom edge of your pool so the sand cannot wash out.

Your surrounding land is flat enough that you are likely ok but sand is a poor choice for most people as it so readily erodes out from underneath the pool if there is much slope at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.