Any way to pump water off cover back into pool?

Sep 11, 2012
Mid-Michigan
We live in the country with a VERY old well pump so normally every year I have pool water trucked in to the tune of $250+ to fill up the pool. This year there is quite a bit of water on the cover and wondering if anyone has successfully pumped the water off their cover back into the pool without to much grief to the water in the pool. I took the skimmer cover off and took a good sniff...still quite a strong chlorine smell. Hubs is trying to figure out a way to use the pool filter so the water gets filtered before going back in.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!

Can't you just pull the cover off and spill all the water into the pool?
It should not hurt the water in the pool, you will likely have to clean the pool up anyway.

I took the skimmer cover off and took a good sniff...still quite a strong chlorine smell.
A strong chlorine smell typically comes from CC (chlorine breaking down organic matter). Once you figure out the water transfer (I agree with jbizzle above about trying to pull cover off if you can), you will definitely want to use that TF-100 kit to get accurate readings. :)

I'd get all the leaves off first by raking the cover with a leaf rake and then, as jblizzle said, dump away and SLAM it. I don't think you're going to get away with not SLAM'ing it even if you did filter it somehow first.

Update: after a week of pumping because of a week of constant rain, was FINALLY able to get the cover off. I knew the water would be a bit cloudy as the water on top of the cover I was pumping back into the pool wasn't the cleanest but truly wasn't that bad. The CC was only .5! So I slammed, vacuumed twice, and 2 days later crystal clear. AND the CYA is down from 90 last year (first year of going BBB and getting off the pucks) to 50! :) Pool is up to 78 and ready to get the ladder in.

On 5/23 after removing cover:
bema6ana.jpg

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually try to keep as much stuff out of the pool cover as I can before it freezes. Use the leaf rake and again in spring before I pull the cover. That way you can just let it dump in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.