Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CSI in swg pool in winter

1. Back To Top    #1

CSI in swg pool in winter

Do I add the borates before the salt or after , or does it not matter?

Water temps are dropping to 60f overnight , should I even add salt now , I hear swg are not very effective in cold water , maybe I should delay the salt , plus the plaster is still fresh 32 days now

The swg is on standby , any harm in it sitting in this state - not working?

Relatively Cold temps + 265 ch , 7.4-7.6 ph , if I then add salt at 4500 ppm (min recommended for my swg) puts me close to -.6 csi , any thoughts on this?
    Sydney, AU | IG concrete / glass bead | ~8,000 Gal Kidney Shape | speck 90/230 w/Auto Clear SWG & Davies Sand filter|speck supersport swim jet | Attached Raised Spa | Pool just resurfaced |the pool cleaner | solar heated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CSI in swg pool in winter

The SWG won't work when the water gets cold, so unplug it. And since it's not working, you don't need salt.

Since you folks down under are heading into winter, it's time to go to winter mode. Maintain pH and TA if it shifts too much, and keep up the FC. It won't use much during the off season. Come your Spring, worry about the CYA if you lost any to rainwater dilution and add the salt once everything's balanced and the water warms enough for the SWG to work.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a single switch that turns on the pump & swg , I've turned the dial all the way down is this ok , leave the cell in there or remove it?

Still ok to add just borates to the water?

Both lights are steady

Sydney, AU | IG concrete / glass bead | ~8,000 Gal Kidney Shape | speck 90/230 w/Auto Clear SWG & Davies Sand filter|speck supersport swim jet | Attached Raised Spa | Pool just resurfaced |the pool cleaner | solar heated

4. Back To Top    #4

That picture looks like you have the dial all the way up Should be fine to just turn it all the way down though.

You can add borates whenever you want (assuming your TA is fine), but they are completely optional.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

60F is not very cold for a SWG so you might check the manual. Mine goes down to 50F and then shuts off on it's own. I think most SWGs will shut off on their own when it gets too cold but again, check your manual.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That picture looks like you have the dial all the way up Should be fine to just turn it all the way down though.

You can add borates whenever you want (assuming your TA is fine), but they are completely optional.

I know , I think it's just the way the knob has been inserted , it's turned all the way to the left , hence no lights

Anyway I'll see what water temps get down to

In terms of the csi if I do add salt? , just keep ch at 300+ , TA around 80 and don't let ph drop below 7.6-7.8 ? That should keep me under -.6

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, if you get your CH up then as the water warms up your CSI will rise if you keep the same pH. You should be fine with 300+ CH.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

hey chem geek or anyone else

is it worth adding borates on there own without running the swg and adding salt ? do you still see the same benefits?

and does it really make the water sparkle?

9. Back To Top    #9

In tested mammals, the most sensitive indicators of boron toxicity are testicular atrophy
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

The thread Are Borates Safe to Use? talks about the safe levels of boron and yes, the first noticeable symptom for an adverse effect in male dogs was smaller testicle size. This is at a level of drinking 29 mg/kg/day so for a 50 kg person and 50 ppm boron water this is 29 liters of water every day. The EPA uses a factor of 100 margin of safety and sets the limit at the no adverse effect level which is 8.8 mg/kg/day so that would be 88 ml (3 fluid ounces) every day, again with a factor of 100 margin of safety.

As for using borates without an SWCG, you still get the benefits of greater pH buffering which slows down the rate of pH rise though doesn't (in theory) change the amount of acid you need to add over time. You just add larger doses of acid less frequently. As for sparkle, I do notice that in my pool and I notice that the meniscus is much flatter in water samples so I'm guessing that the surface tension of the water is lowered which causes some visible effects in waves.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a waterfall feature from my raised spa to the pool , I usually have this running all the time during pump time to ensure the spa water is circulated with the pool running , and as I started with high TA(200) after the replaster a month ago this was great because as I added acid to lower ph & TA ,then aeration would raise the PH up again , and repeat the cycle to lower TA.

What happens when I reach my target TA of 60-80 and the waterfall continues to raise PH ?

I was hoping the borates would stop the Ph from rising but according to you , the borates only buffer (slow down) the ph rise but then you need a larger amount when it does go up, and presumably this will lower TA below where u want it.

12. Back To Top    #12

Since the amount of acid you would be adding over time is the same with and without borates, the amount of TA drop would also be the same. So you would look at the borates as a convenience to reduce the frequency of acid addition. Now there are some people who reported some lower acid use, but it's not consistent and we don't have an explanation for it so I currently ignore that so as not to get anyone's hopes up regarding acid usage and borates.

However, you should notice that you use less acid when the TA is at a lower level. Since the pH can still rise fairly quickly at a lower TA level even with lower carbon dioxide outgassing, the borates do have a real perceived positive effect when combined with lower TA. That is, a lower TA by itself might not have that much of a noticeable reduction in the rate of pH rise, though the amount of acid needed would be less. With borates, you would notice a slower pH rise so you get an incremental benefit.