Algaecide vs Baking soda

May 8, 2014
Greer SC
I am a new pool owner. I spoke to someone about the pool being green and not being used for 5 years, we just bought the house this past winter, and they said that they used baking soda in there pool after many attempts with algeacide, and it cleared the pool up overnight. I was wondering if anyone else has tried that and if it really worked. Would prefer not to put algaecide in the pool if I do not have to.

Welcome to TFP!

Algaecide won't have much effect on existing algae, and baking soda will have no effect at all. Baking soda raises the total alkalinity of the water.

To deal with algae, you need chlorine, and lots of it. The article on Defeating Algae gives a good description of the process.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That baking soda story is non-sense. And as John stated, algaecide is not going to help much either since algae already exists. We rarely ever recommend using algaecide at all because you all you really need is adequate chlorine (FC). What you need to learn is that adequate FC is a function of your stabilizer (CYA) level as shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

To clear the algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process and to do that you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Makes me wonder if someone was confused in relating a story and meant borax a.k.a. borates acting as an algeastat. As mentioned above BS does nothing for algae.

Welcome to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.