Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecide vs Baking soda

1. Back To Top    #1

Greer SC

Algaecide vs Baking soda

I am a new pool owner. I spoke to someone about the pool being green and not being used for 5 years, we just bought the house this past winter, and they said that they used baking soda in there pool after many attempts with algeacide, and it cleared the pool up overnight. I was wondering if anyone else has tried that and if it really worked. Would prefer not to put algaecide in the pool if I do not have to.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Algaecide vs Baking soda

Welcome to TFP!

Algaecide won't have much effect on existing algae, and baking soda will have no effect at all. Baking soda raises the total alkalinity of the water.

To deal with algae, you need chlorine, and lots of it. The article on Defeating Algae gives a good description of the process.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

That baking soda story is non-sense. And as John stated, algaecide is not going to help much either since algae already exists. We rarely ever recommend using algaecide at all because you all you really need is adequate chlorine (FC). What you need to learn is that adequate FC is a function of your stabilizer (CYA) level as shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

To clear the algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process and to do that you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

Makes me wonder if someone was confused in relating a story and meant borax a.k.a. borates acting as an algeastat. As mentioned above BS does nothing for algae.

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!