Help me re-plumb this commercial pool in Ca

After this swim season, I'm hoping to re-plumb this ole' 33K gallon, 9' ft deep pool. Currently it's mixed matched with 2" and 1-1/2" copper lines that are dire need of replacement.

As of today, I have (1) 2" main drain, (2) 1-1/2" returns, (2) 1-1/2" skimmers (1) 1-1/2" vacuum port all operated by a Hayward 1.5 HP pump and DE filter. My equipment pad is also below the water line.

A pool contractor was just here to take a look. He says that I only need (1) skimmer and that I can do away with the main drain and replace it with some type of anti vortex something or ruther that would by mounted to the sidewall of the pool..... I don't have a clue. All I want for sure is the vac port even though I will be using a Polaris robot 99% of the time, I need modern skimmer/s and I would prefer to move the equipment pad above the water level.

I've been reading a lot from this forum about hydraulics etc and I'm glad I have. Lot's of great info here guys.

How should this pool be plumbed?

Attachments

• IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 105
I guess I am not really sure why you would change anything from what you have. As far as pipe sizes those seem fine to just switch to PVC. Why get rid of a skimmer?

As far as the floor main, you may have to make some changes there to get up to code depending on what you currently have.

Moving the equipment pad up is fine, you should be using a IG pump anyway.

I'm not sure why he suggested to eliminate the 2nd skimmer. The (2) skimmers are tied together and are separate from the main drain. However, the farthest skimmer has low suction and really doesn't work well; maybe that's why he suggested to get rid of it.

This was the first contractor to come look at our pool but I plan to have several more come by for bids.

Also, could you fill me in on the main drain elimination or provide a link? I my not sure that I've ever seen a pool that doesn't have main drains on the bottom.

If you put a float diverter in the nearer skimmer, then you could equalize the flow between the 2 ... or since you are replumbing, run a line for each back to the equipment.

There are tens of 1000s of pools without floor drains. Not sure what you want to know.

I'm checking with the county this week to get the exact specifics. I was just wanting more information on pipe sizing, water flow etc etc. I've had two builders look at the pool with two completely different ideas.

I've been reading a lot about eliminating the main drain as this is what I'm really confused about. If I fill in the main drain, do I have add drains to the wall? Or does the pump simply draw water through the skimmers only and add more returns to the lower end of the wall for proper circulation?

Thanks

Whoever permits the pool for use, be it a health department or whoever will have requirements for skimmers per sq ft of surface. Here in Missouri where I am I have to have one skimmer per 500 sq ft. Then depending on the gallons of the pool am required to turn the pool over in flow rate every 8 hours. This factor drives how it is plumbed. For the last few years we have been figuring a 6 hour turnover since some areas are starting to head that direction. Oversize everything so in the future you will be able to meet more stringent guidelines is my recommendation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.