New IG 18x32 Liner Under Way (with Pics)

roadking00

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am finally in the tear out clean out phase of my old liner and prepping the vermiculite floor/slopes with bleach to kill the surprised findings of all the nasty algae that was under the liner :confused: Who would have thought.... I have no idea how old the original liner was but must have been quite old to have the build up of algae/mold under the liner (contractor says worst he has seen)??

Anyhow , I have it all torn out and sprayed one dose of 5 gal 12% bleach over everything already and going to hit it again tonight after I try to rinse away what layer has been killed already. Pics will be coming tonight hopefully , especially of a few concerned areas I have with the vermiculite and what I should ask or expect the installer to fix or repair before installing the new liner, I don't want him to cover up any potential future problems if that should/could be repaired now....

Also, The contractor will be lining up fill water from a local place by the truck load (6000 gal load for $250 ea) was planning on getting 3 loads to bring it up to 18K and then top the rest off will my well ?? Any thoughts ? I wont be able to sample any fill water until the first truck comes but was told its typical city water with its small amount of chlorine in it already. I know my main concern right now without any sample is to start getting my FC level up and CYA added once I get the pump going for circulation/mixing .

Any other major things I need to prepare for during the fill ? Quicker/better way to add CYA besides the sock method ? Things to watch out for or look especially close to on the liner install itself ?

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Re: New IG 18x32 Liner Under Way...

Be sure to squeeze the sock several times a day. That will help the CYA disolve faster. Have your well water tested for metals and have enough sequestrant on hand if metals are present. Have any cracks or holes in the floor repaired, any rust on the walls removed or treated.

Be sure to squeeze the sock several times a day. That will help the CYA disolve faster. Have your well water tested for metals and have enough sequestrant on hand if metals are present. Have any cracks or holes in the floor repaired, any rust on the walls removed or treated.

Thanks zea3 , So I guess the sock is the best way for CYA introduction , or liquid possibly ? Yes, my well has been tested thoroughly in the past and had very low levels of the typical metals present, at least it will be minimal fill through my well with the 18K of truck water coming in (so long as thats metal free?) In the middle of getting all the mold up off the floor/slopes now , then vermiculite patch work to be done by installer (walls are fiberglass/composite panels)

The start of it...

att_139959886085447.jpeg

A TON of mold that needed to be addressed..

att_139959884891821.jpeg

So a few more pics and questions after the 1st initial bleach and rinse down of the vermiculite..

1. Common sense tells me the smoother the floor and slopes of the vermiculite (any/all cracks filled) the less dirt attracting areas on the new liner will be noticeable ? Do I need to make sure the installer is critical with this? The price was with one bags worth of patch but can imagine another bag or 2 is that much more expensive ? Probably more labor intensive then anything.....(I'll have to ask about this)

IMAG1892.jpg

IMAG1889.jpg

2. In the 2 corners of the deep end (at the Pie angle section) has it been normal practice when built/designed where it looks like vermiculite was curved inward ? Sort of like while it was wet still someone extremely large would have just sat in the corners in a precise perfect location and left a molded print of there triangular bottom end ? LOL Didn't really know how to explain it any better....Not sure if that was how it was designed or settling that needs attention ??

IMAG1902.jpg

6gPL7WWpA9vrVS4JLg9vkFi-zD2-IA3xXTCOqAI4-po=s865-no

I have another dose of bleach on it again which will be rinsed off tonight, there are layers of mold probably 1/8"- 1/4" thick in various places.....a work in progress but I'll stay at it all weekend and hopefully be ready for patch work and install bu Monday.:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Just a few more pics of the nightmare.....

IMAG1891.jpg

Like I said, plenty of mold.....

IMAG1899.jpg

IMAG1898.jpg

IMAG1897.jpg

The sock is the best way for the CYA. I have tried it in the skimmer basket and in front of a return. In front of a return dissolves way faster in my case, so it is the method I would recommend.

Thanks Sarge...looks like that's the route I'll be going..I guess I can just have it floating in a sock on a string in the pool during the fill process and until I get the level up to the skimmer and not just using the MD for suction...

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

I tied mine to an empty muriatic acid bottle and put it in front of the deep end return. I tied a string to the bottle and the other end I placed under a large potted plant at the edge of the pool. I also adjusted a valve so that the other returns were mostly off and most of the water was going through the return with the sock.

During my pool fill I tried having the hose direct water through a sock, but that ended up being a bad idea. I had CYA settling on the bottom of the pool. I tried brushing to stir up the water, but the CYA kept settling. Once the pool was filled I vacuumed the CYA off the bottom and all was well. So, I would recommend to wait until your pool is filled and then put the sock in front of the return.

I tied mine to an empty muriatic acid bottle and put it in front of the deep end return. I tied a string to the bottle and the other end I placed under a large potted plant at the edge of the pool. I also adjusted a valve so that the other returns were mostly off and most of the water was going through the return with the sock.

During my pool fill I tried having the hose direct water through a sock, but that ended up being a bad idea. I had CYA settling on the bottom of the pool. I tried brushing to stir up the water, but the CYA kept settling. Once the pool was filled I vacuumed the CYA off the bottom and all was well. So, I would recommend to wait until your pool is filled and then put the sock in front of the return.

Ahh, good idea with the bottle..I wonder if a small sock filled in the pump strainer basket would work during the low water level time as its filling and pulling from the MD?? No different then the strainer basket in my mind so long as you don't restrict suction to the pump at all....Humm ? Or I'll just wait till the 3 trucks are dumped in and go the normal route....

Yes that was NOT recommended by the installer at all , due to the fact of possible damage to the surface hence more repairs if damaged...but the hose thing was not doing the job ,so I decided to use my Pressure washer carefully and it works like a charm....after all its my pool, I will pay for any damage I do to have it repaired and all is going well:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Progress coming along slowly, had a few days of rain that held me up from the bleaching treatments but all in all coming along, patch work to be done in the next couple of days along with the liner drop in :) The wife and son are getting anxious for the pool to be opened with its make-over.....

IMAG1950.jpg

Have a little patch work at the MD ..
IMAG1957.jpg

Finally sprayed the mold down last night in the deep end after debris removal :)
IMAG1955.jpg

Hopefully after tonight's wash down it will be ready for patch work and liner in a day or so ?
IMAG1960.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions on a good durable white paint to use on the coping ??

Ok, read a bunch of posts on re-painting the coping, and had a pool guy tell me any exterior latex paint will be fine ?? Of course prep is key to a good paint job...has anyone ever painted coping a off the wall color rather then the standard white/gray ?? Like an aqua/blueish to match a color or 2 in the new liner design ? The wife is definitively a color person and wants to try something new, be a bit different, not the norm..etc.....

I've never seen it done! Looking forward to what you do with it and seeing the new liner! Have you guys chosen the new liner yet? Have a link to it?

I've never seen it done! Looking forward to what you do with it and seeing the new liner! Have you guys chosen the new liner yet? Have a link to it?

Yep, have the liner sitting on the decking in the box waiting to be dropped in.... here is a link to the full liner pic https://www.google.com/search?q=angel+fish+pool+liner&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=zV24DLj6br-iFM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQAc5PBX52VWG-kaBeS_mujNOgJBh5g7VjBAYDsXKEmopTzIAwQzg%253B224%253B400%253BgLBhzjPEDgjdsM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.poolstore.com%25252Fp%25252F3728%25252Fangel-fish-crystal-economy-series-inground-pool-liners&source=iu&usg=__NnSagpnjZBK8wG38N4Fpk6k2FFY%3D&sa=X&ei=ir90U42FM8mNqgadtIAg&ved=0CEsQ9QEwAA#facrc=_&imgrc=zV24DLj6br-iFM%253A%3BgLBhzjPEDgjdsM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.poolstore.com%252Fcontent%252Fimages%252Fthumbs%252F0007491_angel-fish-crystal-inground-pool-liner.jpeg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.poolstore.com%252Fp%252F3728%252Fangel-fish-crystal-economy-series-inground-pool-liners%3B224%3B400

Here is a couple of quick shots I took this morning with a color swatch my better half picked out so far for the coping (semi gloss)....it will definitely be different, but then again so are all the vibrant colors of our walls in the house ;) but it should look pretty cool when complete...especially when we do something to restore the cement decking with something ?? Can only imagine what some of my other half's ideas are when that comes up :rolleyes:

IMAG1964.jpg

IMAG1963.jpg

I like it! That liner is sweet!!! :mrgreen: Can't wait to see it finished!!!

Getting there...lessons learned so far...

1. DO NOT try to start the painting process in the evening even after the coping has been in the shade for a while, it retains a lot of heat on the coping and the paint semi dries almost instantly causing clumping (not good) :-(

2. The coping retains the heat longer then you would imagine...so start the painting 1st thing in the am and hopefully a cloudy cool day like we had today :)

3. Its more time consuming then you would think... even without having the liner there to worry about....

4. Taping off the cement decking is a PITA too....

I'm at work, my better half did the official painting this morning in the cool weather...no pics to post at the moment but soon to come :) we have to sand a few spots down from the original painting while it was HOT coping and will repaint it in that little trial area we messed up on :-(

Its a bit dark out but here's a couple samples of the 1st coat...the wife did a darn good job I must say...had to sand the few troubled spots down and man is this paint durable... very hard to get off or sand down...will post better daylight pics soon..after the 2nd coat....
betu8esa.jpg
veheqahe.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.