!HELP !.. GREEN POOL FULL of YUCK and 0 Cya...

May 8, 2014
United States
We have a 26,000 gallon Above ground pool.
Pump is 1.5 hp and filter is Hayward with Zeobrite.
Even though we had the pool for 3 years we made the idiot move of not covering the pool this winter. So I am new at dealing with such a big mess .We are now cleaning it blindly of all the leaves and green slime, which is not easy at all for us above grounders..
Also tested the water ( if you can call it that) and saw that I have 0 Cya.. had 30- 40ppm last year before it went swampy.

What is the best SLAM approach for me at this point?

Since I have NO stabilizer I was thinking of shocking with Dichlor to bring the CYA level back to 40ppm and then continue with store bleach. I understand from reading around here that dichlor will add Cya faster ?
I understand that I need to " shock" according to the cya levels so seems easier , faster to use dichlor..
If anybody could also help me Math wise, what would be cheaper? Starting with the Dichlor since it has both the cya and bleach or buying them separately ? I read that it will lower my Ph, which is now at 7, but also read that even separately it still lowers it. Can I worry about my Ph later when the algae is dead? or I need to bring it up as I am shocking? TA is also real low at 20. Should I adjust PH and TA before I start shocking or after?
Tell me if my math is correct
8 1/2 lb of Dichlor shock for a 26,000 gallon should give me 30 ppm Cya and 33 ppm of chlorine. I was thinking of adding 4 lb first and then the other 4 lb.. Please Help.. I don't want to bleach my liner..

Thanks!

Personally, I'd just buy the Stabilizer/Conditioner and go that route but you can use the dichlor if your want. Raise you pH a bit before you do so by using Borax and pool math. I think adding it to a sock is much simpler. If you do it that way, you can just get to SLAM'ing the pool with unscented bleach, again, according to Pool Math.

You will not bleach your liner as long as you are circulating your pool and pouring the bleach over the return pencil thick.

Test kit? If you don't have the recommended TF100, you should get one. It's worth the investment and read up on Pool School. That's your home work while you're resting your arms from raking! :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP. Use your cover at the end of this season. :mrgreen:

Step one would be to get all the goo out as you are doing now.

Regarding the Dichlor, I would start with some CYA first then use the Dichlor to stairstep up. with a CL of 33 you could certainly damage the liner. That is well beyond SLAM target for 30 CYA.

Do you have a test kit? You are going to need one if you are going to follow the slam process

Also, what is your pH? You might need to adjust that first before you add so much chlorine since that test is invalid once your chlorine goes above 10

Thank you both for the prompt response.. I would not add the dichlor all at once.. That is precisely what I need help figuring out. Sam's club has a good price right now at $2.41 Lb. for 24 LB. Seeing how much junk I have in the pool I can see me using it because I'll be doing a lot of vacuum to waste once I start seeing through thus losing some more Cya in the process. If I'll be using the dichlor how much more will it lower the Ph? in other words to what level do I have to raise the Ph before adding it ?

Welcome! :wave:

Poolmath can tell you the Effects of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom. Be sure you enter your pool size at the top. Then you will know how much FC each bag of dichlor will add, and how much each jug of beach will add, and then you can crunch numbers and get $/FC ppm. A lot depends on how much things cost where you are. Menard's is having a huge sale on bleach, if you live in their territory.

For simplicity's sake, I'd just follow the SLAM instructions. Granular CYA suspended in a sock, liquid bleach. Keep dredging and brushing and filtering.

Thank you all ! No Menards in my area ... Also I have a LOT of polen and fine stuff in there I anticipate a nightmare to filter all that.. would a flocculent help with getting rid of the stuff faster? I don't know if this zeobrite is just not doing a good job or my area is just full of fine dust, but last year filtering was a problem..

Thank you all ! No Menards in my area ... Also I have a LOT of polen and fine stuff in there I anticipate a nightmare to filter all that.. would a flocculent help with getting rid of the stuff faster? I don't know if this zeobrite is just not doing a good job or my area is just full of fine dust, but last year filtering was a problem..
Go buy some cheap knee-high stockings and stretch it across the slimmer basket. It will catch a lot of pollen so the filter doesn't have to. I find the queen-sized ones are easier to stretch. Pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't waste your money and water Flocking. The TFPC method works and doesn't need flocking. Use a knee high as Richard suggested. Your pool filter is going to need time to filter everything out. It's going to take time. Brush the pool daily to kick everything up in water so the filter can catch it.

I did that last year but still had fine stuff on the bottom... anyway right know I wish for that to be my biggest problem :)
Should I vacuum to waste blindly to loosen up all the algae before adding anything in ? If granular cya takes a while to dissolve , how fast does the algae settle back? Because If I'll vacuum again after adding the Cya aren't I just wasting it?
After numerous vacuums to waste I am STILL pulling this out of the water..but I am anxious to see where all the junk is and I want to start clearing the water.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8c5uwZ1oNXGS09CbW0yRVBjV1E/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the whole pool in all it's greeness
rsz_1dsc09313.jpg

Add up to 30ppm of CYA and start SLAM'ing the pool and continue raking the bottom. Read Pool school and order a test kit.

I guess either you or I are confused about what vacuuming to waste means. My manual vacuum goes to my skimmer which catches all but the smallest particles which in turn is caught in the filter. Have to frequently empty the basket.Pumping to waste is getting rid of water while bypassing the filter. Backwash is getting rid of water by sending it thru the filter to get all that fine particles out of it. Rinse cleans out the valve and piping? Looks like you could do just as well using your leaf rake, no???

I am vacuuming the water while bypassing the filter..because we are tired of removing the junk solely with the leaf rake.. we are blind and don't see nothing.. also did not want to clog the fliter, do the back wash and waste water anyway... I guess my concern is that once I start adding the chemicals, the water will still not be clear enough for me to see, or the debris is smack in the middle of the pool which makes it really hard to p/u with the leaf rake..( for the above ground pools) or too fine to do that.

Just keep blindly raking the bottom and start SLAM'ing the pool. Once the water starts taking on a lighter, bluer color, you'll start to be able to see shadows of debris on the floor and you can scoop it out. It's a tough job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.