When I opened my pool this year it was a green swamp (worst in 7 years by far). So, I shocked the pool which cleared up the green. But, I couldn't get my salt generator to generate any measurable chlorine. So, I replaced the 6-7 year old salt cell. After running constantly, still no measurable chlorine.
I called the manufacturer, and the first question they asked was, "how high is your phosphates?" So, I bought a phosphate test kit, and I measured around 500 or less. After reading around the forums, I decided that the algae could be consuming the chlorine as fast as it was generated. I called them back, and the first question asked was, "What is you CYA level?". So, I added CYA because it was very low.
Now I shocked it again with 3 gallons of 10% Liquid Chlorine, and now my readings are (from the pool store):
FAC - 6 (I think it's higher, but that is as high as his test would go)
TAC - 6
Salt - 3400
Calcium Hardness - 150
CYA - 50
Total Alkalinity - 90
pH - 8.2 (I'll add muratic acid to bring that down)
Phosphates - 1000
I have a 28,000 gallon, vinyl pool, with a salt system.
The pool store tried to talk me out of buying more chlorine because it was so high. But, I bought 4 more gallons of 10% in case I need to shock again.
The water is pretty clear, I can see the bottom, but not crystal clear.
How can I tell my salt generator is a actually working? It is reading the salt level correctly, and the voltage and amps are reading normal at the panel with no warnings or alerts. I was afraid my panel was bad.
I am planning on buying the recommended test kit because my test kit doesn't measure chlorine at the levels suggested on this forum for shocking.
Any advice or help would be appreciated.