Modified Return Plumbing Question

Apr 14, 2011
South Point, Ohio
We just had a solar heating system installed on our pool before startup this season. We had the panels placed on the roof of our garage were our pool pump is located. The water is being pushed straight up approximately 9 feet. Our pump is above water level. The plumping for our pump changed quite a bit (See Attached Diagram).

To run just the panels I open valves 1 and 2 and close valve 3, this allows all water to pass through the panels before going back to the pool. If I do not want the water to go through the panels I close valves 1 and 2 and open 3.

Everything works great when the pump is running, but after the pump kicks off you can wait a few minutes and hear the water “fall” back down the pipes instantly causing the pump basket to be filled with air, so the next time the pump starts to run it has to rebuild a prime.

I called the installer this morning and he says that they may need to put a check valve on the line coming from the filter. To me this sounds like more of an air leak somewhere possibly? Maybe I do not fully understand the need for the check valve.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• poolpump.jpg
    poolpump.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 25
You need a check valve after the filter and before where the solar splits off. Air in the pipe coming from the solar system is normal. There is a valve up on the roof that allows the solar panels to drain, which lets in air.

Your installer should have known about the check valve and done it right off. Without that check valve there are sure to be issues.

By the by, you may or may not want to be sending 100% of the water to the solar system. Take a look at the pressure gauge on the filter both when solar is on and when it is off. If the pressure goes up more than 5 or 7 psi, you probably shouldn't be sending 100% of the water to the panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.