Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What type of caulk to use

1. Back To Top    #1

What type of caulk to use

I have to replace the caulk that is around the edge of my pool. It is used to caulk the gap from where the cement pad meets up to the fiberglass pool. The original Caulk appears to be a clear silicone. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of caulk I should use after I remove the original caulk which is falling apart.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What type of caulk to use

If the gap is 1/2" wide or less, polyurethane caulk is more durable (but messier, if this is DIY) than silicone. Clean as much of the silicone out as you can.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Anyone know about elastomeric caulk as well? It's latex based, so not sure about it around a pool edge. That's what my patio guy is planning on using as of now.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would not use any latex based caulk. polyurethane has a better longevity out in the sun.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the same type of pool, fiberglass side concrete bottom. To seal the joints between the two materials we use a polyurethane caulk made by sikaflex. It is marine grade for underwater use. Don't remember the specific model.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. I removed the silicone today so I will be caulking soon.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.