Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to cover ladder hole in cement

1. Back To Top    #1

How to cover ladder hole in cement

I have an opening, or a socket, in the cement pad next to my pool for the inground ladder is supposed to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to cover up these sockets because I'm not going to be using the ladder.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How to cover ladder hole in cement

Ardex makes a product available at HD or Lowe's called "Feather edge". It is essentially concrete. It won't match your existing but it will fill the hole.

My suggestion would be to fill the hole to within 1/4 inch from the top and then let dry for 24 hours. Then, do a second mix to fill in that last 1/4"......you'll get a better looking job.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry, I did not clarify. I only want to cover them for this swim season because we are not using the ladder this year. So I only want a "temporary" cover. Thanks!
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

How big is the hole? How about driving a PVC pipe cap into it? When you want it out, drill a hole and stuff a prybar in and lever it out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I too would like to know if anybody has done this or purchased something.

We have 4 ladder holes. They are the plastic variety that are bonded and then anchored down by the concrete pool deck. Just haven't found anything that would look decent to temporarily cover/plug them since they are right by the entrance stairs.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm with Richard. Measure the holes. Find PVC pipe caps that will fit snuggly in the hole. When you want to remove, drill/pry them out. Very cheap at local hardware store.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons