decrease filter pressure

Apr 23, 2012
My girlfriend decided to vacuum the last of debris in the deep end which included some leaves and pine needles. I told her not to but its her pool. Now we have lost atleast 10 LBS PSI and water flow coming out of jets is lower than before her escapade. Where and how do i find clog? I tried backflushing a little. Not helping....

Thanks in advance

Kill the pump, empty out the pump strainer basket, and then poke around and feel for a wad of pine needles stuck in the impeller. You might even try sticking a hose in the pump inlet and try pushing whatever's stuck in the pipes backwards out to the skimmer.

oops sorry didnt see last post. Hate to ask but where is the pump impeller?
It is hidden between the pump basket and the pump motor. It's the fan blade, more or less. You'll have to probe with your fingers. In extreme cases, you'll have to separate the pump from the motor to dig out the debris. Before you do that, ensure the pipes are flowing.

my hand cant fit to reach impeller do i have to take apart?? to see if its in impeller or try the hose deal first i guess huh?

- - - Updated - - -

your one step ahead of me. It seems like there is good water flow but i guess do the hose thing first?

my hand cant fit to reach impeller do i have to take apart?? to see if its in impeller or try the hose deal first i guess huh?

- - - Updated - - -

your one step ahead of me. It seems like there is good water flow but i guess do the hose thing first?
Yes. Because you'll need to replace the gasket between the two halves of the pump housing if you start dismantling it. And you'll have wasted the money for it if it turns out the clog wasn't in there, but in the pipe. Page 23 is the beginning of instructions for disassembly, page 26 has a good exploded view of your pump. The impeller is part 17, the gasket is 30.

So stick a hose in the inlet pipe from the inside, wrap it with a rag to seal it, clamp it good with your hands, and have a helper turn on the water and go watch inside the skimmer. Hopefully you get lucky.

so if there is water movement coming out of skimmer then its in the impeller most likely...???? if no water movement then its a clogged line? then i need to push hose through the pipe to try and break up clog? Do i have it right?

so if there is water movement coming out of skimmer then its in the impeller most likely...???? if no water movement then its a clogged line? then i need to push hose through the pipe to try and break up clog? Do i have it right?
No. don't try pushing it through with the hose, try blasting it loose with water. If you have a good seal with the rag and the hose is on full blast, you ought to see and feel a strong flow coming up from the bottom of the skimmer, hopefully with a bunch of leaves and pine needles in it!

ok good deal you think its ok to run pump for now till i get a chance to do this with the person who screwed it up. the pump does not feel like it is running hot.
must be a minor clog . what ya think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.