LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I own a reef tank and I use these kind of tool to take measurement of the water: Hanna Instruments. I have been using them for 3 months now and they work great. No color guessing.
My question is are they any good to be used in a pool also? I know a lot of you guys will say "go with TF-100 kit" because you want to promote it. But I already have one and I love it, but the color guessing sometimes give me a headache :x .
Anyone been using this instruments? Or any other similar one?
Here is the link to pool&spas: Hanna Pool & Spa Meters
Here is more advanced unit: Hanna Multiparameter For Pools . It cost over $500 but if it works good then I'm willing to spend that kind of money :goodjob:

Do these have a way to be recalibrated if you have to replace the probes?

The only color matching in the TF-100 that you would be using on a daily basis is the pH test. all others are color change, from colored to clear or one color to another. Exception -- OTO FC test, but (in my case) not used very often.

The ONLY reason I personally advise the TF-100 is it is the best kit available for the home owned pool, bar none. Not because I want to "promote" a certain product.

I might say it wrong. "Promote" might not be a good word. What I mean is that everybody here (even myself) will always "advise" to purchase TF-100 kit. But I'm a lazy guy :) I would like to try the digital instruments. Make my life little bit easier is what I'm always looking for :grin:
I just would like to hear someones opinion. Maybe somebody here take their water sample to a store , where they use digital instruments , and he can tell me how it works for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Do these have a way to be recalibrated if you have to replace the probes?
The ones I own for aquarium doesn't have any probe. You put water in glass container into the instrument and close it. I believe inside is some kind of instrument that read water color and shows it as a number. But before each use you have to calibrate each instrument with water sample that you are testing. You can check some videos on youtube on how they are used.

I haven't tried those specific meters, but everything similar either needs constant calibration, or breaks after a few months, or is just inexplicably wrong for no apparent reason. There has been extensive experience with the ColorQ, which is less expensive but otherwise very similar in many ways, and sometimes it work wonderfully, and sometimes it is way off, without any way for the user to know which of those situations they are in.

I haven't tried those specific meters, but everything similar either needs constant calibration, or breaks after a few months, or is just inexplicably wrong for no apparent reason. There has been extensive experience with the ColorQ, which is less expensive but otherwise very similar in many ways, and sometimes it work wonderfully, and sometimes it is way off, without any way for the user to know which of those situations they are in.
Thank You Jason. This is the kind of opinion I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

ColorQ, which is less expensive but otherwise very similar in many ways.
Oh man !!! You can buy one of these for $142 on eBay. Wow. I'm glad I have asked here first before making stupid decision and go with the Hanna photometer.

Thank You Jason. This is the kind of opinion I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man !!! You can buy one of these for $142 on eBay. Wow. I'm glad I have asked here first before making stupid decision and go with the Hanna photometer.

I'll sell you one for $100. Slightly used. Results were inconsistent. Especially pH. My TF-100 arrived yesterday. I'll try it out after I get some sleep. Worked graveyard this week.

I'll sell you one for $100. Slightly used. Results were inconsistent. Especially pH. My TF-100 arrived yesterday. I'll try it out after I get some sleep. Worked graveyard this week.
You are definitely not the first person that has offered to sell a used ColorQ on the forum after buying one of the recommended drop-based kits :lol:

Pysiek: Search the forum and you will find may discussions about digital testers ... and many former owners like the one above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.