Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Digital instruments

1. Back To Top    #1

Digital instruments

I own a reef tank and I use these kind of tool to take measurement of the water: Hanna Instruments. I have been using them for 3 months now and they work great. No color guessing.
    My question is are they any good to be used in a pool also? I know a lot of you guys will say "go with TF-100 kit" because you want to promote it. But I already have one and I love it, but the color guessing sometimes give me a headache .
    Anyone been using this instruments? Or any other similar one?
    Here is the link to pool&spas: Hanna Pool & Spa Meters
    Here is more advanced unit: Hanna Multiparameter For Pools . It cost over $500 but if it works good then I'm willing to spend that kind of money
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Digital instruments

Do these have a way to be recalibrated if you have to replace the probes?

The only color matching in the TF-100 that you would be using on a daily basis is the pH test. all others are color change, from colored to clear or one color to another. Exception -- OTO FC test, but (in my case) not used very often.

The ONLY reason I personally advise the TF-100 is it is the best kit available for the home owned pool, bar none. Not because I want to "promote" a certain product.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I might say it wrong. "Promote" might not be a good word. What I mean is that everybody here (even myself) will always "advise" to purchase TF-100 kit. But I'm a lazy guy I would like to try the digital instruments. Make my life little bit easier is what I'm always looking for
    I just would like to hear someones opinion. Maybe somebody here take their water sample to a store , where they use digital instruments , and he can tell me how it works for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Do these have a way to be recalibrated if you have to replace the probes?
    The ones I own for aquarium doesn't have any probe. You put water in glass container into the instrument and close it. I believe inside is some kind of instrument that read water color and shows it as a number. But before each use you have to calibrate each instrument with water sample that you are testing. You can check some videos on youtube on how they are used.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

$68---$500 Next question?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It cost over $500 but if it works good then I'm willing to spend that kind of money
    Not many of us are willing to cough up $500 for something to test pool water. Many are reluctant to spend the $$$ for the suggested kits!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    $68---$500 Next question?
    I got your point. But I do spent some much money on some other stupid stuff that I'm wiling to even spend it on this instrument
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't tried those specific meters, but everything similar either needs constant calibration, or breaks after a few months, or is just inexplicably wrong for no apparent reason. There has been extensive experience with the ColorQ, which is less expensive but otherwise very similar in many ways, and sometimes it work wonderfully, and sometimes it is way off, without any way for the user to know which of those situations they are in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I haven't tried those specific meters, but everything similar either needs constant calibration, or breaks after a few months, or is just inexplicably wrong for no apparent reason. There has been extensive experience with the ColorQ, which is less expensive but otherwise very similar in many ways, and sometimes it work wonderfully, and sometimes it is way off, without any way for the user to know which of those situations they are in.
    Thank You Jason. This is the kind of opinion I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    ColorQ, which is less expensive but otherwise very similar in many ways.
    Oh man !!! You can buy one of these for $142 on eBay. Wow. I'm glad I have asked here first before making stupid decision and go with the Hanna photometer.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Thank You Jason. This is the kind of opinion I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man !!! You can buy one of these for $142 on eBay. Wow. I'm glad I have asked here first before making stupid decision and go with the Hanna photometer.
    I'll sell you one for $100. Slightly used. Results were inconsistent. Especially pH. My TF-100 arrived yesterday. I'll try it out after I get some sleep. Worked graveyard this week.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jmbradwell View Post
    I'll sell you one for $100. Slightly used. Results were inconsistent. Especially pH. My TF-100 arrived yesterday. I'll try it out after I get some sleep. Worked graveyard this week.
    You are definitely not the first person that has offered to sell a used ColorQ on the forum after buying one of the recommended drop-based kits

Pysiek: Search the forum and you will find may discussions about digital testers ... and many former owners like the one above.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I didn't really expect to make the sale, but I had to try.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ehemm..... Read my thread on the color q....
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

13. Back To Top    #13

I did dig around after I post the question here. And it looks like they are not good
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub