Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar powered pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Solar powered pumps

I want to have a 2hp Pentair Intelliflow pump powered by solar panels but have difficulty in getting advice on appropriate size panel(s) etc.

Must be able to switch over to mains (to use pump and jets) at night.

Do NOT want to use batteries.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Solar powered pumps

Welcome to TFP Doug. I can't help you but someone should be able too! Hope you enjoy TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

You would probably get better performance by getting one of the DC powered pool pumps specifically built for direct solar power use, these pumps speed up and slow down depending on available power from the panels. If you want to power an intelliflo from solar panels then the panels will need to be MUCH larger and be connected to an inverter system to convert DC to AC, with a lot more intelligence, and the panels will either need to be massively oversized or connected to a battery bank to handle the initial start up surge when the pump starts.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mexico, MO

As noted by Isaac, it really isn't practical to go with full solar for you pump. At current technology level, up front costs are very high, and there is essentially no payback (ROI).
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.