New pool being designed

Doug G

May 7, 2014
Caribbean
PROPOSED:

Pool to be 12'0" x 20'0" x 5'0" deep(water depth) and infinity edge.
Currently calculating the overflow trough considering 2'0" wide and 2'0" deep x 20'0" long internal size, plus a collection pool (100cubic foot volume)

Pool to be reinforced (going to a structural engineer) 5/8" did at 8" centers both ways and 8" thick 4000psi concrete base and walls built on rock base.

Need recommendation for the base to wall water bar joint.

Considering :-
- Pentair intelliflo pump
- cartridge filtration.
Pentair recommend contacting a pool designer etc. No qualified pool designers/contractors or equipment suppliers on St.Kitts in the Caribbean.
- Salt chlorine generator
- 1 pool light
- 3 inlet jets
- Diamond brite finish.
- Ceramic tile waterline, water supply is fairly hard. Is a water softener recommended/required/necessary?

Any suggestions on a pool equipment supplier that will help coordinate the purchase order and sizing of equipment?

Will post sketches of proposed pool and pics of location and view shortly.

The pump is sized based on your water flow needs, with an infinity edge, you will need a big pump. I think the Intellifo should handle it.
The filter is sized based on your pool size and debris load, but in your case you are going to have high flow as well. Generally for cartridge filters you want the largest one you can afford.
The SWG should be sized for 2-3 times the volume of your pool.

There may be advantages to purchasing all the equipment from the same manufacturer (longer warranty), but note that the Pentair SWG is limited to increments of 20% when you do not have their automation setup.

Doug, having see a bit of "island" construction myself over the years, I thought I might point you to this thread on home building a pool that is just a little smaller than you are talking about, to give you an idea of what is possible with basic building techniques and alternative materials.

Keeping the design simple and idiot proof may be a good idea if it is being built by people that have never seen a swimming pool before, much less built one.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/65439-Concrete-Block-Puppy-Pool-in-progress-many-questions

Ike

p.s. regarding what Richard said, a 12 x 20 5 ft deep pool is a bit of an unusual design, how do you see this pool being used? 5 ft is good, maybe a little deep for a lap pool, but 20 ft is kind of short, it is also too shallow for diving and a bit deep for a sports pool which often have a V profile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.