I have a 24,000 gal. plaster pool with cartridge filters in Houston, TX. My chlorinator got a kink in the line and I got yellow algae all over the sides and steps. I brushed and shocked with 4 lbs. The next day I went to the pool store to test it (I'm waiting for my test kit to arrive in the mail) and the FC/TC was at 4 & CA was 90 (I knew this was wrong because it's been at 100). The mgr. told me to put 3 lbs of shock, 2 packets of Jack's Magic algaecide, & brush/vac. Did it. The 3rd day they tested the FC/TA at 1, CA at or above 100, and phosphates at 1000 (everything else was fine). I was told to drain some of the water to get the CA down and retest (I can't backwash). I've drained down 1 foot of water (We're on a community well and I normally deal with calcium deposits and high phosphates in the pool). What is my next step? Do I shock to get the chlorine up quickly or turn up the chlorinator or...?
To lower the phosphates they recommended PhosFree Commercial strength. Any thoughts?