Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual vacuum head

1. Back To Top    #1

Manual vacuum head

Does anyone have a preference for a manual vacuum head style or brand? I have an automatic pool cleaner but it always misses spots so I am going to get a manual head to get those areas. I see triangle shaped ones, rectangle shapes, some with wheels, some with brushes, some without. I am leaning towards one that is kind of rectangular shaped with some little brushes on the side but I would like to know opinions and pros or cons of the various shapes. Thanks!
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Manual vacuum head

The wheeled ones are generally not intended for vinyl pools. Make sure whatever you get is for vinyl.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

All I can say is avoid the HTH vacuum head. I bought one recently when mine broke and the only ones at the pool store where for plaster pools. The HtH has a dual size hose connector, so the actual opening is 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2". Makes a big difference when you are vacuuming a lot of leaves. It clogs up tight very quickly.

I have thought a triangular head would be nice for getting behind the steps a little more.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

I have a triangle shape one. Works pretty good. Only thing about this thing is it has brushes on the bottom of it. If you try and move it too fast, the brushes will stir stuff up on the bottom too much for it to get sucked in. Go slow with this, and it works well.

Disclaimer: This is the only one i have ever used, so there might be better ones that I wouldn't know about.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!