Air in suction line to pump basket

Jul 31, 2012
One of my three pumps won't prime up. All pumps and everything else was working fine in March. Turned back on in April and one pump won't prime. Air in the suction line to that pump. All filters have been cleaned. All seals are good. Pump motor is working fine. I suspect a broken or clogged suction line. I (and the local pool service company) filled the pump basket with water many, many times trying every combo of other 2 pumps on/off and can't get it to pull in water on the suction side. Motor is definitely working. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks TFP Admin, that is a good article.
1. Pump basket lid is OK (recently lubed with silicone).
2. Basket drain plug is OK.
3. PVC joints that are inside the pump room are OK. I need to check the ones outside that are above ground.
4. I know of one valve box and the pool service guys looked at the valves/connections but I will check them again.
5. Water level is not losing water but then I've not run the problem pump for more than a few minutes at a time for fear of burning it out.
6. No spitting at this point since I can't keep the prime water in the pump basket for more than a split second!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.