Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Universal LED retrofit in Swimquip niche?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Universal LED retrofit in Swimquip niche?

Hi all - forgive me if I should keep this with my main renovation thread in the Under Construction forum, but since this was such a specific questions on a light, I thought this might be the place.

PB returned the Pentair Intellibrite LED he was supposed to put in this weekend because it doesn't fit our 1970s Swimquip niche. He came back with an incandescent Sta-Rite today and I went out to question him about it. He was thinking he could instal the Sta-Rite now and replace the incandescent bulb with an LED (to be sourced later). I found the J&J bulb referenced on TFP as a possible LED to try out.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Swimquip-Niche

However, this seems like an inelegant solution since we are getting a whole new light and it was supposed to be LED, so I took to Google of course! I found the Hayward Universal Crystalogic LED and reading the manual it says it will fit a Swimquip niche. However, searching the TFP archive shows someone said it didn't work for them. Anyone have any newer info on trying this scenario? https://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-...03_14008_I.htm

Thanks!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Universal LED retrofit in Swimquip niche?

Ok, I guess I will be the guinea pig! The Hayward Universal CrystaLogic is on the way. We'll see if it fits and I'll report back.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

3. Back To Top    #3

The answer is yes! There are instructions in the box about how to adapt to the Swim-Quip niche, and eventually the PB got them in. They look way better than these pics show with our gray plaster - love them!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

miaokc that is great info. What was involved in adapting the Swimquip niche?

Thank You
    Patrick
    www.inyopools.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Patrick! I think the light ring needed to have a small tab removed/drilled. I don't think they actually had to do anything to the niche itself, but I was trying to unobtrusively watch out the window while he worked on it (hanging over the coping in water up to his shoulders - not his favorite time I'm sure!). Here's the instruction manual - look at page 8 to see what it said about the Swimquip. http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...Operations.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Thanks MiaOkc that is very helpful. I know what you are talking about when the guys are out at the pool doing the work trying to watch what they are doing and not annoy them =)