Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a second skimmer and return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a second skimmer and return?

Hi guys,

I am having an 18x34 Doughboy installed. 54" sidewall, no deep end. My pump is a Waterway Econo-Flo VSA-165:
    http://www.waterwayplastics.com/prod...le-speed-test/

When I bought the pool, I did not know much about skimmers/returns. It comes with only one skimmer and return. The lead guy installing it mentioned it would be better for a 2nd return and skimmer to aid in circulation. He said while one would get by, my large pool would benefit greatly from a second, especially because there are a lot of trees around.

I called up the guy that sold it to me and his thoughts were that it would be beneficial, but not overly necessary because they up-sized my pump to one for an in-ground pool, and it should be more than enough to circulate the water well. He said he'd give the installers a 2nd skimmer in the morning so that they would have it in case I decided to add it. The cost is $130 for it, plus whatever they charge to install it.

Thoughts?
    ~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a second skimmer and return?

My pool is bigger with only 1 skimmer. That is pretty common. If the skimmer is located at the predominantly downwind side of the pool, 1 is probably fine. Do I wish that I had 2? Often, when the wind in blowing all the junk to the wrong end of the pool

Certainly not required, but could be nice, plus with 2 suction lines your head loss will be less and you will get higher flow rates.

Unfortunately, getting a bigger pump is not usually a good thing. We typically recommend getting a smaller 2-speed because if will use a lot less power than a larger single speed pump. For a basic pool that this, a 1HP 2-speed would be plenty for circulation and filtration.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The reason they up-sized the pump is that it is hard piped about 30 feet away. It's variable speed, not sure if that helps in the 'less power' department?

I guess I will wait to see how much they will charge and decide then. We have quite a lot of trees around though, I'm thinking two skimmers would be nice. Here's a pic of the current progress... you can get an idea of how bad it is...

IMG_2052.jpg
    ~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, well if it is a VS pump, then you will be able to turn the speed way down to save money on power. Although if your electric rates are not high, usually a VS will not save enough power over a 2-speed to warrant the higher initial cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I went ahead and gave them the OK to install a second skimmer and return. I couldn't pass it up for the cost and it's now or a pain-in-the-butt later. I'm having them put a valve beneath the skimmers so I can turn one off to maximize suction on the other when I vacuum.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I went ahead and gave them the OK to install a second skimmer and return.
    Very smart move, I think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd of done the same thing, especially with the oval pool. Keep the pics coming!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

You won't regret the 2nd skimmer and return ... wish I had 2 of each!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

9. Back To Top    #9

Second skimmer & return has been awesome. I am really glad I went with it. I am not sure one skimmer would keep up with the amount of pine needs and leaves we have. It helps a lot with the circulation and because of our large pump I couldn't imagine it running on it's highest RPM with just one intake. The returns already feel like a water jet at that speed.

10. Back To Top    #10

Good for you!!! Any pics?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry, I have some pics up but they're scattered across a couple topics. I guess that's what buying your first pool, learning the TFPC method, and potential issues with your new pool install does. I just created a build thread in the construction forum with a lot of pictures if you're interested:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...18x34-Doughboy