Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok to unplug suction vacuum with pump running

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok to unplug suction vacuum with pump running

I have 'the pool cleaner' suction vacuum in my in ground pool and the hose plugs right in to the side of my pool. the return pipe for the vacuum meets at a "T" with the skimmer return and theres a valve right there and then continues on to the pump. I was wondering when we go swimming is it ok to just unplug the vacuum hose and remove it from the pool while the pump is still running without having to close off the valve? Theres a cap that drops down and covers the hole that the vacuum hose plugs into if that makes a difference. The valve is kind of a pain to get to and i just want to pull the vacuum out while were swimming cause its always in the way. I hope the way i explained it makes sense. Thank you
    9k gallon concrete in ground pool
    800 gallon spa with small waterfall spillover into pool
    intellichlor IC40 SWG
    intelliflo variable speed pump ran 8am to 330pm @ 40GPM and 3pm to 5pm @ 65GPM
    Pentair quad DE filter
    "the pool cleaner" suction 2 wheel vacuum
    Full California sun all day
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok to unplug suction vacuum with pump running

If I understand correctly, you just want to remove the vac while leaving that wall suction line open (although there is a flap). Correct?

That is not going to damage anything. It could pose a small chance of entrapment for a child against that wall suction line. But since you still have the skimmer suction open, that does lower the chance of this happening.

I found a wall suction line for a removed waterfall pump that I re-purposed and tied into my main pump suction (with a 3-way valve between the wall and skimmer). So very similar to your setup. I NEVER turn the valve to only have suction from the wall (I have stops to prevent it). But with both suction lines open and the pump running on high, I have pump my hand over the wall suction line and it will give a short good pull on my hand, but then release as the suction diverts to the skimmer. I intend to add a drain cover to my wall to lower the likelihood of a problem even further.

Anyway, you could try putting your hand carefully over the vac port (WITH THE SKIMMER ALSO OPEN) to see what kind of suction might still be coming through the wall and decide for yourself if it is a concern. DO NOT do this with the skimmer suction line closed and all suction through the wall or you will get stuck at a minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

basically I just want to remove the vacuum and hose from the pool while we are swimming. The flap door will close when i remove the hose so there shouldnt be any problem with someone getting there fingers in there. I just wasnt sure if it would get air in the return line and ruin the pump since theres no water coming from the vacuum line anymore. since that flap door shuts and stays closed pretty tight due to the pump suction i guess it will probably just divert all the suction to the water from the skimmer return line and be fine. thanks for your response
    9k gallon concrete in ground pool
    800 gallon spa with small waterfall spillover into pool
    intellichlor IC40 SWG
    intelliflo variable speed pump ran 8am to 330pm @ 40GPM and 3pm to 5pm @ 65GPM
    Pentair quad DE filter
    "the pool cleaner" suction 2 wheel vacuum
    Full California sun all day
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If the vacuum port is above the water level, then that will not likely work because it will pull air in. But if below, should be fine because water will still be pulled from the skimmer
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!