Hi guys. I just ran my first test of the year and here are the results:

FC 0
    CC 0
    Ph 7.2
    CH 100
    TA 90
    CYA <20
    Salt 2600

I know I need to add CYA to about 70-80 for my salt pool, add salt to get to around 3,000 or so, get some chlorine (added bleach this morning after the test), and get the PH up to about 7.5 or 7.6.

What do you think about the TA of 90? The documentation with my SWG recommends 60-80 TA. How can I go about lowering this a little?

What order should I add the ingredients above? Borax and CYA first, then bleach, then salt last?

Thanks!!!
    18 x 36 vinyl liner IG pool, grecian shape, ~27k gal
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward DE3620 Filter
    Hayward Aqua Rite Electronic SWG, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with my test results

Here's my .02.....bleach first, CYA second, salt last. Don't worry about TA for now, it's close enough. I wouldn't bother with the borax, as the SWG is going to drive your pH up for you.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what smykowski said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to be sure, the water is circulating? Because it can sort of layer if you got a lot of rain over the winter.

How does it look? No algae? No cloudiness? You can see the bottom okay?

If it is circulating, then get some bleach in there and add some CYA to get it to about 70. And if everything settles down nice, add salt and fire off the SWG!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Just to be sure, the water is circulating? Because it can sort of layer if you got a lot of rain over the winter.

How does it look? No algae? No cloudiness? You can see the bottom okay?

If it is circulating, then get some bleach in there and add some CYA to get it to about 70. And if everything settles down nice, add salt and fire off the SWG!
    The water is very clear after I added the bleach last night. FC is at 3 now. I'll get the CYA going. It's gonna take a lot to get it to 70!

I will hold off on the Borax and keep monitoring pH.

thanks, you guys are awesome!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, my pump has quit running. It had frozen up a few days ago and i was able to get it running (barely) for the last few days. The LPS says the bearings are shot. I found a replacement (same model) on Amazon for fairly cheap ($350) and have ordered it. I expect it will be early next week before it arrives and I can get it installed.

My question is this - how can I keep my clear water from becoming a green swamp before my new pump is installed? Is it safe to add a little bleach to it to keep some chlorine in the water, or should I not bother since there isn't any way to circulate it?

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep some bleach in there. You'll have to mix it manually. Take some Motrin beforehand and get to work with the brush. One lap around the pool ought to stir things up enough to keep it mixed. A few jugs now will save dozens later. I wouldn't bother with the CYA until you have good flow again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Bummer, you missed the perfect opportunity to upgrade your pump situation by getting a smaller 2-speed motor and ultimately saving money on electricity for the life of the motor.

You should still slowly pour bleach into the pool and then brush the pool down to mix it in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!