Recommended Levels?

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Am I shortening the life of my vinyl liner with these levels?

Test Kit - TF100
FC 8
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 70

I just switched from PB to the DIY BBB method and I'm concerned about the FC, TA, and CYA levels for a vinyl pool. The Pool School recommends, FC 3-7, TA 70-90, & CYA 30-50.

I'm slightly higher than recommended & I know that lowering the CYA will allow me to lower the target FC, but I'd like to try and let the CYA lower on its own and not drain & replace 12-14K gallons.

I believe you are fine on all counts. Your CYA is higher than optimum, but if you stay away from stabilized chlorine, it will drop some due to rainwater and splashout, and in a season or two you'll be fine.

The CYA "buffers" the chlorine, so the effect on your liner is about the same as a much lower FC level with no CYA.

Hi there,

My TA is the same as yours, your other numers are okay and won't hurt your vinyl liner.

As for the CYA, backwashing with your sand filter will also reduce it over time. Heck next year you might find yourself adding some! LOL

Pool store chems and unbalanced water did more discoloration on my liner than at any point of using BBB.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.