Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is shelf life of R-0600 ?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is shelf life of R-0600 ?

I purchased a kit maybe a year ago now. My testing of the clorine shows 5+ ppm. I test every 3 days of so once it gets warm. I take a bottle of water in to my local pool maintenance/supply to verify my tests. Today, they told me I was 1.5 ppm. I was confused. I went back home and used the Taylor K-1000 kit that I purchased from here along with the standard inclusive test kit and I read again 5+ ppm. I also used an older OXO kit I had and it showed real high.

I took another bottle or water in along with my test kit and explained my concern. He then used his Taylor professional drop kit and tested the water, showing 1.5 ppm. He used a strip test again also showing 1.5 ppm. I then showed him my test results with water I just brought in and he said the reagant must be old.

Could my reagant be bad already?

Mike
    16X32 IG gunite pool w/ marcite
    AquaRite SWG
    15K gallons
    Pentair Triton II sand filter w/ SM10-3 valve
    Sta-Rite pump w/ 1.5HP single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is shelf life of R-0600 ?

If his "professional" Taylor kit was a DPD test where he used a comparator, then high FC levels bleach out the DPD reagent so one measures an artificially low reading. As for the test strip, that depends on the type of test, but if it is again a pink/red type of test that may be DPD, it too would get bleached out.

If you purchased a kit here, such as the TF-100, then why aren't you reporting a FAS-DPD accurate reading? Or is the 5+ because you didn't want to see how much higher it actually was when you used 10 drops for a 10 ml sample? If the OTO reagent went bad for that test, I wouldn't think that it would report too high.

See the Taylor link Recognizing a Compromised Reagent. Unfortunately, they don't mention the R-0600 OTO reagent.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

The test he did used 2 chemicals, resulting in a pink water color to read clorine levels.

The strip was green on the pad for clorine, so I guess that is a different test.

I did purchase the TF-100 kit, but am not too familiar with all it has to offer. I will look at the directions to see if I can do another test for higher levels. I am not too savy yet with this kit and what it can tell me.

Thanks for your inputs,
    Mike
    AquaRite SWG
    15K gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I went out and did the DPD. It took 10 drops (to be 5ppm) to go clear.

I then did the CC test and I have none after adding the other reagent.

This really makes me wonder...

Mike
    AquaRite SWG
    15K gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

The lifetime of the various reagents is very dependent on storage conditions. Ideally you want cool and dark with little temperature variation. About the worst case is leaving them out in the sun.

R-0600 is one of the organic dye reagents. Collectively, the organic dyes have the shortest shelf life. In practice, if stored carefully they can last two years or more, if left in direct sunlight on a hot day they can go bad in less than a week.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Nothing to wonder about ... your FC is 5ppm and your CC is 0ppm.
    Stop asking other people to test your water and trust your kit ... it is better than most "professionals" use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I will add that if you leave that R-0600 in the sun for more than 60 minutes, the shelf life can be zero.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

My experience is that the OTO starts out clear and colorless but becomes yellow as it ages. If it's yellow, you should probably replace it.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

+1 what jamesW said.
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

My reasoning for having my water tested there is to double check MY test readings. I don't trust myself to be sure I am doing the test right. I am not going to change my salt system settings as suggested by him. I do purchase my supplies from them and they always treat me more than fair. When I had my pool resurfaced, they were half the price of the company that installed my pool and gave over 3 times the warranty with it.

I ordered a new K1000 kit, as it was cheaper than buying the 2 reagents seperately. Sounds funny, but it was.

Thanks everyone for your inputs ! ! !

Mike
    AquaRite SWG
    15K gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    If his "professional" Taylor kit was a DPD test where he used a comparator, then high FC levels bleach out the DPD reagent so one measures an artificially low reading. As for the test strip, that depends on the type of test, but if it is again a pink/red type of test that may be DPD, it too would get bleached out.

If you purchased a kit here, such as the TF-100, then why aren't you reportin g a FAS-DPD accurate reading? Or is the 5+ because you didn't want to see how much higher it actually was when you used 10 drops for a 10 ml sample? If the OTO reagent went bad for that test, I wouldn't think that it would report too high.

See the Taylor link Recognizing a Compromised Reagent. Unfortunately, they don't mention the R-0600 OTO reagent.
    He doesn't have a tf-100, he has a taylor k-1000 soon to be two of them
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I think chem geek was referring to the pool business I went to.

I will have a second K-1000 kit, but additionally I have the TF100 kit. The K-1000 cam with my TF100 and it says to keep it by the pool and use frequently for base readings.

Thanks timerguy
    Mike
    AquaRite SWG
    15K gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

He doesn't have a tf-100, he has a taylor k-1000 soon to be two of them
    Uh, not exactly....my records indicate he is in possession of a TF-100.
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

Whoops, musta missed something. Like the last of #3
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter