Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Prefered liquid chlorine brand

1. Back To Top    #1

Prefered liquid chlorine brand

Is there one folks? Or as long as its 12%+ its good?
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Prefered liquid chlorine brand

Whatever is cheaper based on using this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ine-calculator

Assuming that it was stored reasonably well and not very old. In some areas, the regular 8.25% bleach is a better deal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just buy the GV unscented bleach from WalMart.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Prefered liquid chlorine brand

Thanks folks. Going to Costco today, will check out what they have there

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Try your local pool store they should carry 12.5% with the price
    per chlorine equivalents cheaper than most, plus you lug around and pour less. Just be prepared for the "why liquid you'll raise your TDS"
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

6. Back To Top    #6

I use walmart, target, or local grocery store (farm fresh) store brand. 8.25%

I just bought my first 4 bottles of 12.5% from Ollies yesterday on a tip from someone on the forum who lives close to me. $2.99 for a gallon of 12.5% is a great deal since that's what I usually pay for 121oz of 8.25%!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerAnthony View Post
    Try your local pool store they should carry 12.5% with the price
    per chlorine equivalents cheaper than most, plus you lug around and pour less. Just be prepared for the "why liquid you'll raise your TDS"
    The first time I got told the "But you'll raise your TDS!" from the pool store I wasn't quite prepared, but I am now.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got that talking to a few weeks ago ... they had no idea who they were messing with
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I'll just pile on and say, "Whatever works out cheapest." But don't forget the gasoline cost. I won't drive 25 miles to save 10 a gallon.

It's sort of like table salt. Is Morton's really any different than the store brand?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

So... What is TDS? ) only my second year with the pool, still kind of noob.

11. Back To Top    #11

Total dissolved solids ... includes cya, salt, CH, etc
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Ah ok. Thanks. So this isn't necessarily a bad thing then, both my cya and CH are a bit low at the moment.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

both my cya and CH are a bit low at the moment
    Well, that can be a bad thing. I think you possibly have misunderstood TDS. TDS is an irrelevant parameter for a pool so can be ignored.

Both CH and CYA are important parameters, so if they are low, they might need to be adjusted.

You can find the acceptable ranges for CH and CYA in Pool School......read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".

Post your current test results if you need some help with them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School