Hayward pump/filter and need for leaf trap

vicsin

Sep 17, 2013
Thinking about getting a 1.5 hp Hayward Pump/150 sq/ft filter combo. It comes with a strainer attached. Should I should use a leaf trap when I vacuum from the intake side of the pool wall or is the strainer on the pump good enough to catch things that might hurt the pump like leaves and anything else. If so would a trap with a bag or basket be more advisable. Thank you.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

1.5HP is generally larger than required for most pools. Often we see the the combos have pumps that are too big and filters that are too small. With more details, we would better be able to advise.

And yes you should use a leaf trap if your skimmer basket is not used while vacuuming and not rely on the pump basket.

Thanks for your answer. I have a 9x18x52 Intex Ultra Frame. With no skimmer. Yesterday I wrote that my solar blanket is on 24/7 except when I go in the pool, 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or two. So a skimmer would do very little skimming in my application. Can't see a reason to cut a whole in the liner for that. Any other reason to have a skimmer besides plugging a vacuum into into? Thanks again.

That pump is too big for your sized pool... You are only dealing with 4520 gallons of water...... Are you planning on adding a water fall, and extra return or anything like that?

- - - Updated - - -

Oversize the filter, but not the pump....

Check these out this might help! I believe this guy is from the UK!

4etujyra.jpg

a8e6y6aq.jpg

The first pic is the skimmer on your exact pool and the second is the pump and filter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

His skimmer is lower than where I want to put it... I'm putting the top row of screws through the top seam....Like in the top photo...

A one horse power pump is what a lot of inground pool owners use.... It is more than enough for this pool and a further upgrade if you need it.... :) Have a look at some of the signatures of people in the under construction area, to get more familiar with the equipment they use....

Thanks for the pics. Love seeing them. I'm wondering about the wisdom of cutting holes in these pools. They're not meant to be that way and have no reinforcement around the hole. Does anyone ever have problems with tears, etc a few years down the road or even sooner?

You need a skimmer for things like dog hair, cat hair, pollen being blown into the pool, human hair, insects that like to have a drink then realise they can't swim.... Sunscreen and oil that leave a film on the water......Leaves are a problem... Otherwise you'll be out there manually doing it all the time... Having organics in your pool makes you use more chlorine.....

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pics. Love seeing them. I'm wondering about the wisdom of cutting holes in these pools. They're not meant to be that way and have no reinforcement around the hole. Does anyone ever have problems with tears, etc a few years down the road or even sooner?

You've asked this question before..... No one has had a problem..... The liner is over 3mm thick...It was really tough to cut through it when I installed new fittings.... Have you even unboxed your pool??? And had a look at the liner?

Please realize that the HP is only half the story. There is also the Service Factor which needs to be applied to the HP and some pump wet-ends are bigger than others and will move much more water even if the SFHP.

Is it possible to have a 0.75HP 1.3SF or a 1HP 1SP or a 1.5HP 0.7SF ... and they are all EXACTLY the same pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The reinforcement comes from the gasket and the screws that hold it in place.... People with through the wall skimmers have had at least 5 years use out of them... It won't be the liner that lets you down, trust me, it will be the frame......

Thank you, good answer. But again most of the time, 95 per cent at least, the pool is covered. No animals, very few leaves, most things land on the cover etc. I just worry about the risk, reward of cutting that big hole when the benefit seems so small. Anyone here had one in their pool for 3 or 4 years or heard any stories of how the liner tore or anything like that? Around the holes the manufacturer puts in, the liner is reinforced. Is there a way to do something like that before you make a hole? Like a large patch or extra layer of liner to screw into?

The intake and return holes that I cut are reinforced....Check my thread and you'll see they're reinforced, factory reinforced..... The skimmer is at the very top of the pool where there is less pressure on the sides.....With a gasket and the screws making a powerful bond you won't have a problem.... The over the wall skimmer is ****.... Pro series pools are replica's of intex and they come packaged with through the wall skimmers.....I don't think it will take intex too long to start doing it also....

Go a year manually skimming your pool, you'll install one the next season I guarantee it....

vicsin, I don't have an INTEX pool but if I did, I would definitely upgrade to the skimmer just to be able to vacuum alone. You may not need to since you say you have your pool covered a lot, except to swim. My pool, although not around any trees and a very small bather load, gets a good bit of debris just from the wind. If I keep it covered all the time without letting it breathe, it gets a slick bottom. I couldn't imagine not being able to manually vac with a good pump/filter/skimmer. JMO on the subject. And, I've been here a long time and I don't think I've ever read where an INTEX mod completely failed due to an upgrade.

I cut larger holes in my previous Intex pool to install the larger fittings. I never had any problems with them. I'm going to cut and install a through the wall skimmer tonight. I'm not worried about it tearing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.