Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedstir Necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Speedstir Necessary?

I've been using the Taylor K2106 test kit. After a month of testing, you can just look at the sample and have a good idea of how much bromine is in the water. I will add 6 or 7 drops of the reagent without stirring, and then just swirl by hand to "read" the sample. So my question is, do I or should I be continually swirling the sample when I'm adding drops, or is swirling after adding a bunch result in the same results? I do the same with the TA test. I can tell that I'll be right around 60ppm, so I just add 4 drops first and then swirl.
    Jacuzzi J375 Spa, 415 gallons, Bromine Sanitizer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Speedstir Necessary?

necessary? no. but im sure it makes it nice. ive been thinking about getting one myself.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It is absolutely not necessary....until you get one and wonder why you didn't have it from the beginning.

I got one a few months before we ever sold them (we really do make an attempt to try the stuff we sell) I was quite skeptical....just my nature.

After about the first two tests, I was hooked!

After all that, it is still not necessary but it is a pretty neat little device.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It seriously makes things easier, and makes the testing more consistent in my head.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

I got one when I ordered my test kit. I would compare it to my car lock/unlock remote. Sure using the key doesn't take much longer to unlock, but once you start using a remote you find using the key again to be annoying. Plus with the speedstir, I know everything is getting thoroughly mixed. I'm probably a bit biased right now though. Had to SLAM my pool (foreclosed, unused for 3 year) and the speedstir is extremely handy for the FC test when you're using 40-50 drops at a time.
    18'x35' inground vinyl. ~26k Gallons
    1HP Hayward Super Pump. Jacuzzi 250L sand filter. No additional water features.
    Foreclosure pool, 3 years no use. Yes, that is a bike I got from the bottom.
    TFT-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Couldn't imagine NOT having my speedster
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post
    Couldn't imagine NOT having my speedster
    This. No one has ever put a post on this forum saying "Man, I wish I would have saved $30 and not bought the speedstir."
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

I love the speed stir and use it every time I test the water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, I get it. Not needed.

I sure am glad I didn't spend the $30 on that useless little gizmo.
    Jacuzzi J375 Spa, 415 gallons, Bromine Sanitizer

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have a speed stir ... but you can bet your bottom dollar that if my pool ever turns green and I have to slam ... I'll be buying one with my order of extra reagents!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Mike View Post

You'd be stirring the pot more effectively if you had a Speedstir!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

Ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to get it!
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

The amount of time spent driving to the pool store let alone gas in your vehicle that you will not have to do as soon as you have control of your pool by testing your own water pays for the speedster in less then a season of TFP ownership....well worth the $30 bucks for sure.... But not needed.....

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

14. Back To Top    #14

I get arthritic flair ups in my hands at times and swirling becomes a little clumsy. I find the speed stir very helpful at those times, and just all around faster testing all the time.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Mike View Post

I don't believe anyone that has one will tell you it's not needed. Besides your question was is it necessary. For my $30 bucks worth, it isn't necessary, but it IS needed!!!
    Last edited by jblizzle; 05-07-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Removed potentially derogatory statement
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

My only advice is if you don't want to spend the money to buy one don't ever try using one. Like others have said, it is not required, but once you try it you don't want to go back
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    You'd be stirring the pot more effectively if you had a Speedstir!
    LOL
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]