Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baby Ruth incident

1. Back To Top    #1

Baby Ruth incident

My wife just came in with the six year old granddaughter and we apparantly had a Baby Ruth incident. She wasn't watching close enough I guess. Any way there were two regular size and on bite size "candy bars" in the pool. They were quit solid and came right out (she made the six year old dive for them).

Until now I have followed BB princples for the last 18 months and have never had to shock the pool. Just wondering what I need to do. I have added 2.5 gallons of 6% Bleach.

I went to the store and bought two double packs of Clorox total of 5.6 Gallons (I made the six year old carry one. She dropped it three times) Hopefully its enough, but I know where to get more.

Before the Incident my numbers were

FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.7
    CYA 70
    Alk 68

Havent checked on numbers now but need to know how long the pool should be closed and how high I need to bring the chlorine for how long to be considered "safe".
    14,500 inground gunite
    7' connected spa with overflow waterfall
    Goldline salt water chlorine generator
    Hayward 4 cartridge filter
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baby Ruth incident

Here's a recent thread that covers it all Accidents happen!

poop-in-the-pool-t5566.html?hilit=cdc

ChemGeek (Richard) gives details on the first page...
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrawler
    Here is the CYA chart sticky by Chemgeek

sticky.php?s=2346
    OK, I read that lots of good information, but I only speak English. According to the pool calculator The 2.5 gallons of bleach I added would bring me to about 13 PPm is that high enough ? And how long would I need to hold that.

Sorry I have never had to shock my pool before.
    14,500 inground gunite
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

4. Back To Top    #4

The correct shock level depends on your CYA level, see this chart. (We moved some things around, so the old link doesn't work any more.) With CYA of 70, shock level is around 28.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ugh, you made the 6 year old dive into the pool and retrieve her own poop by hand? That's disgusting... was it a punishment? Why not just grab a net and scoop it out?
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoPie
    Ugh, you made the 6 year old dive into the pool and retrieve her own poop by hand? That's disgusting... was it a punishment? Why not just grab a net and scoop it out?
    Actually the wife made her do it, Though I think it was a good Idea. This was not an accident. She was afraid if she got out swim time was over, as everyone else was already out of the pool.

You think she will do it again ? Consequences.
    14,500 inground gunite
    Hayward 400K heater
    Completed January 07

7. Back To Top    #7

Speaking of consequences, there are consequences of having a small child swim in and pick up feces.

The physical ones you seem to be aware of which is why the thread on shocking the pool has come about.
    Jim