Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fixing up old liner pool, concrete patio cracking, walls bowing.

1. Back To Top    #1

Fixing up old liner pool, concrete patio cracking, walls bowing.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I purchased my first home with a pool a little over a year ago knew it would need some upgrading as the patio/concrete around the pool had some minor cracking... A year later and the situation has gotten much worse with the pool walls bowing inward and many more cracks. I decide to remove the concrete and discovered that it had been placed on top of an old stone patio surrounding the pool. The stone has helped trap in water over the years which Im sure has contributed to the bowing of the walls. I would really like to keep the pool, but I'm quite limited on the budget this summer. My idea at the moment is to remove all the concrete, place french drains around the pool and sod up to the side of the pool wall. Im hoping this will somewhat mitigate the problem for a few years.

Here are some image of what everything looked like at the beginning, where I'm at now, and the concept I'd like to try and get close to.

EDIT: it would only let me attach 2 images, so here's a link to the rest: http://imgur.com/a/F0MTm/

Are the french drains a good idea, am I too far gone with the pool walls, am I in over my head? Any help feedback would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fixing up old liner pool, concrete patio cracking, walls bowing.

Bump

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome tulsamatt! I can't help you with your issues but it looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Someone should be around soon. Good Luck with it and no matter what you do, keep us updated. There have been many, many rehabbed pools overhauled here over the years. It looks like yours is vinyl.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. I looked at that post and have no good idea on how to correct those bowing walls short of a complete redo.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you know the actual condition of the walls? Are they completely bowed from top to bottom? Normally one reason for the deck is to keep water away from the pool.

There are folks with a lot of experience on here. They may have a different view. But I'm not sure you can fix the bowing other than by removing the soil behind the walls. Even that seems like a gamble and would depend on the condition of the walls.

Have you had a pool builder (or three) out to look at it?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like you have concrete walls and that they are bowed likely due to the expansive clay soil we have here in Tulsa. Digging out the clay soil and replacing with gravel and a french drain should keep it from getting worse, but probably won't correct the bowing that is already there.

Has the pool been filled with water all this time?
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone... The pool has been full of water the whole time and the liner is in good condition. From the best that I can tell the walls are bowed all the way down to the bottom, its a pretty shallow pool, about 5 feet. I have not had any pool builders look at it yet, any suggestions for the Tulsa area?

8. Back To Top    #8

I had these guys replace my liner. I don't know if they would fix the bowed walls, but they might be able to give a reference of someone who could.
    http://www.tulsaliner.com/
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG