Green Green Green, Help

May 7, 2014
memphis
I have a 33' round pool. I did not cover it last year. I think I have most of the leaves out of it, can not see the bottom. Like many I went to pool store and they sold me some algae killer, 4 gallons liquid chlorine and 5 bags of shock, told me to dump all of it at once. I also bought new sand, because i think i have a broken latteral and was gonna fix that.
My question is should I change the sand before I add the chemicals?
When I add the chemicals should I use filter or baypass to pool until water starts clearing?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Will the pool store take back the shock and algae killer? You don't need those. Most of us here have never had to use them in our pools since going to the Trouble Free Pool Care methods.

What you WILL need is a great test kit, We recommend the TF-100, and since you are going to have to slam, you should get the XL option. Get it from TFtestkits.net. While you are waiting for your kit, read Pool School, linked in the upper right of every page here.

Your sand doesn't necessarily need to be changed, just removed from you filter to change any broken laterals. But since you have new sand, use it.

Yes you should get your filter working properly before adding any chemicals.

With test kit in hand, you will need to check your chemical levels, paying special attention to your pH and FC (explanations in Pool School), then start a SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain) as outlined in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.