Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I chlorinate for vacation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Forest, VA

How do I chlorinate for vacation?

Ok. Pool has been open for several weeks. All the numbers are within range.
    Last test:
    FC 6
    CC 0
    Alk 90
    CYA 50
    pH 7.4

I am going on vacation for 8 days. What is the best method to use to chlorinate the pool? I thought about using 3" tabs in my chlorinator on low to med. Any thoughts? I know this will bring the CYA up a little bit. My pool gets a lot of sun. If I use the tabs, how many would be sufficient for 8 days?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    10,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: How do I chlorinate for vacation?

Any close neighbors or friends that can dose it up for you a bit while gone? If not, take it to slam level for your cya and put in a floater full of pucks. Covering will also help.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Southern California

Back when I used a floater, I could get 5, 3 inch pucks, into it. They would last about 7-8 days on a medium (half) opening. Check your weather forecast for that week just before you leave and adjust your opening for that. Pack it full and drop it in the water as you walk out the door. If you feel it's not enough, you could always bump your FC a bit the night before you leave to help out, but you should be OK.

Have fun.

4. Back To Top    #4

Chapin, SC

Last year, I put 4, maybe 5 tabs in a floater (you probably can get by with fewer) and poured a couple bottles of 8.25% bleach in the pool just before I left. My fc was still 4.0 when I got back 8 days later, and the tabs weren't completely dissolved. Good luck with yours!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

If your chlorinator is inline - that's the way to go and it won't raise the CYA that much in 8 days. Will the pool be uncovered, on a timer then, or running nonstop? If so then evaporation/water level/power outage are the only issues to worry about, perhaps a neighbor could call and take instruction should any of this come into play... Perhaps fill pool up to top of skimmer before you leave to account for possible evaporation.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6
    SW PA

Bring to SLAM and cover with a solar cover and use pucks in your chlorinator. You should be fine. Good luck and let us know how well the pool faired while you were away.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7
    Frankfort , Illinois

30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

8. Back To Top    #8

Knoxville, TN

We have an inline chlorinator -- so I usually add extra water the day before we leave and then I'll bump chlorine (with beach) to the high end of our TFP limit (around 6-7 FC) Then I put around 6-9 pucks in the chlorinator. I run the chlorinator on low while we're away. Usually 4-5 pucks will last 9 days on low and so I always throw in a little extra because our pools gets tons of sun and tons of debris (plant and insect/animal). I will say we keep the CYA on the very LOW level for a vinyl pool -- so I don't worry that much about the pucks.
    21K gal, IG - Free Form, Vinyl (replaced in 2012) with Hayward S-244T Sand Filter, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (installed in 2015 to replace Hayward 220 Chlorinator), in process of installing Liquidator

9. Back To Top    #9
    Central Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    That looks interesting. Maybe next year...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10
    Tucson, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Utlmnop View Post
    I will say we keep the CYA on the very LOW level for a vinyl pool -- so I don't worry that much about the pucks.
    I do not follow why the type of pool has any relevance to your CYA level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Newcastle, Oklahoma

for 8 days, pucks is your best bet. if we go for just a couple or 3 days, I bring pool to shock level or above and cover, otherwise, Ill have to go buy a puck dispenser.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!