Deck Drains Anyone???

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
So one major design flaw with my new pool I'm finding is the drainage issue. I keep having washout from under the cement where we put new dirt. It seems here in SC in the Midlands there is no such thing as a simple rain we get torrential downpours with very quick flooding and washout issues :rant:

So I'm looking into putting a deck drain on three sides of the pool where we are having issues and using pavers and pea stone to hold it as I'm not planning anymore concrete. Then I'll use ditching w/stone to divert the 4th side. Anyone have any experience with a good rugged deck drain they might recommend?

I used a 3" C-channel deck drain I bought at a local irrigation wholesaler called Ewing Irrigation.
http://www.ewing1.com/
It's good tough gray PVC type material with removeable gratings. They make it in 3" or 5". I used the 3" and it works great. You can see pictures of it in my pool build link in the stamped concrete. I'm sure you could use this around the edges of a pool deck if they are straight. I've seen them used as a border for paver stones at a friends house too. They have various fittings, unions, and 90's available.

I've seen this same brand of deck drains at Home Depot/Lowes, but they only carry the really heavy duty 5" drains. They are expensive and built to go into driveways...you can drive on them... The 3" drains are what you probably need around a pool deck.

Here's a picture of the drains poured into a concrete deck.
Sealed2.jpg

Belldiver, I wasn't able to find the drains on the website link. Pretty much everything else just not those. Any idea how they came and how much they were per section....if you don't mind me asking? I may have to call them.

I mentioned them as a local supplier, but believe they are nationwide. Sorry I never actually looked through one of their catalogs, just went into one of their outlets.

They come in 6' sections. They weren't particularly cheap. If I remember right, with all the fittings and gratings, it cost me about $60 per 6'. I may be off a couple dollars one way or other, but that's close.

It was handy going into the store and being able to play with all the different fittings and adapters. Just plan out what you need and try'n get one of them on the phone if you can't find an outlet somewhere near. The sections glue together with PVC glue and I used my 12" miter saw to cut them clean and straight. I did set them using patties of Quikcrete to anchor them properly before we poured the main concrete deck and stamped. About one 80# bag at each 6' section joint. Just mixed in a wheel barrel.

You may also try Home Depot/Lowes. The store in my town only carried the heavy duty 5" drains and they were much more expensive and more than I needed. Your local store may carry them in the 3" version. They were the same manufacturer. Ewing carried both sizes.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.