How long to self build pool?

matt66

Apr 23, 2013
Vincennes, Indiana
New guy here. First post. Looking for encouragement, so if I sound stupid take it easy on me. We started working on installing a 27' Vogue Discovery back in March. Pool is semi inground and keeps raining and turning our base to mud. By the time it hardens up again we either don't have the time or it rains again . How long has it taken some of you to install your pool? It is a self install. Have to pump it out every week due to rain.
Also, getting helicopters everyware we dug. Will I need to be worrying about trees growing up through our pool? I keep blowing them out , but seem to be plenty more to replace them.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Most of the DIY builds seem to take a few months but it can vary wildly.

Starting from a wooded forest, by the time I cleared the land, built a retaining wall, etc. etc., I ended up almost three years.

I have been too ashamed to ask if that's a record but it must be close.:shock::shock::shock:

It took us a few months to set ours up ... seemed we were getting interrupted a lot with kids activities, rain, buying replacement parts, and new tractor implements ... We started working in April last year and didn't fill the pool until around 2nd week in July. Building the deck took a few more weekends after that.

We started ours in the middle of June and some how completed it at the end of July. It rained a lot last summer and my husband (my helper) was recovering from a motorcycle accident. You'll get there!!! Here's hoping to clear skies for you!!! Welcome to TFP!

I'm still setting mine up.... lol.... I had an old pool took about 2 days to set it up... But it was a rectangle intex so pretty easy..... This time, I've doubled the size of the pool and I've all but totally removed 15cm depth of dirt from my 35m2 front yard.... This build is going to take me the best part of a year, but that's only due to my weather.... I'm heading into winter so not in a hurry....

Asking how long will it take to install a pool is kind of like asking how long is a piece of string.... :) How badly do you want it? And how perfect do you want the levelling, cause that can take ages, especially by hand, which is how we chose to do it.... For this next pool, I'm getting a plate compactor to do my levelling for me... :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I haven't been at it that long after all. Here is what it looked like last weekend. It's dry now, but supposed to rain again Friday. Blocks were set and leveled, but will need to be checked again before setting the wall.
asadepyq.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399506031390.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399506031390.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 131
It rained several times during our set up ... and I found that the best thing about the rain was that it made it really easy to find the high spots! LOL! Hope the rain holds off for you!

Oh man... what a mess! Hopefully it'll dry out for you soon!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes there are blocks under there. There was a foot of water under the tarp. It was all leveled, but I need to recheck it all. It's full of helicopters from a maple tree now. I am a little afraid they will sprout under the liner.

It took me about a month and a half to do my own onground install after removing it from my neighbors backyard. It was quite a saga. ;)

I too fought the weather...it RAINED and RAINED AND RAINED last spring - I bought a huge 100x150 tarp and basically tarped my entire backyard at one point and had a pool before I wanted a pool. I spent a lot of time sumping out that tarp but at least I kept my base steady and mostly dry.

Untitled by oshawapilot, on Flickr

Untitled by oshawapilot, on Flickr

Full gallery is located here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/oshawapilot/sets/72157634481024557/ It starts out with the pool installed at the neighbors who donated it to us, through the removal from their yard, my trials and tribulations installing it in my backyard, and at the end some photos as things started to wrap up.

Oh wow Mark! I really love your pool! I've never seen one like that! Did you end up using the old deck too? It was a really wet summer last year!!!

Reused everything right down to the liner. Lots of new stuff (hardware, some plumbing, etc etc) but reused almost everything that came with it. I'm still amazed it all came out as well as it did in the end, especially for having zero pool building experience and starting with it being in the backyard of the house across the street. ;)

That is awesome that you reused everything, including the liner. Liners don't always like to be reused.

I had budgeted for liner replacement, but it was almost a "nothing to loose" scenario trying to reuse it, and except for one small ripple around one of the return jets it came out absolutely perfect. I took a LOT of measurements of the bottom, cove, etc before we fully emptied and removed the liner from the previous installation..and then exactly recreated the exact dimensions on the pool bottom at our installation, and it paid off. The liner was kept wet (in a 55 gallon drum full of water) for the entire time it was removed from the pool, about 2 months between teardown and reinstallation IIRC - it was never dry at any point, a tip a pool place (that was mentoring me on the install) gave me which I might not have otherwise done. In the end it was what saved the liner.

I just opened the pool after it's first winter in our backyard and all is well.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, Matt!)

Matt,

Have you thought about getting some cheap lumber and a couple of extra tarps to build a temporary shelter over your pool area?

While I was working in construction, we'd have to do that at least once a year to be able to complete a project on time.

If you build it out of materials that can be reused on your deck, you'll have it on hand for that, too.

Actually thanks for the hijack and the gallery link, that is a great album you have.
I never thought about framing it up under the tarps. Here's how it looks now. Hopefully the rain from tomorrows storm will run off.
u6esu9yj.jpg

Good Luck in keeping it dry Matt! I bet you're getting anxious! Do you have kids up your back side whaling in your ear because they want to go swimming too? :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.