Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: acid on cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

acid on cover?

pool is covered so to add acid must raise the corner of the cover but it then sags and some of the cover is in the water

acid is 31% acid and is diluted 1pt in 3gal or 1pt in 25pts
    1/25*31 is 1.2% acid

now 1.2% becomes way less as soon as it hits the pool but...

is there any way this could hurt the cover?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: acid on cover?

What are your test results and what is your pool temperature?

My understanding is that at very cold temperatures, the effects of high (or low) pH are much, much less. Most of the pH change is due to the temperature change and not due to an underlying chemical change to the water. Basically, leave it alone until you open it up.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    What are your test results and what is your pool temperature?

My understanding is that at very cold temperatures, the effects of high (or low) pH are much, much less. Most of the pH change is due to the temperature change and not due to an underlying chemical change to the water. Basically, leave it alone until you open it up.
    all within troublefree ranges save pH 8.
    pool temp 53 degrees

thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I think your dilution technique is fine and I doubt it will hurt the cover. Are you running the pump so you get good distribution?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I think your dilution technique is fine and I doubt it will hurt the cover. Are you running the pump so you get good distribution?
    thank you

I am running the pump when adding the acid, on Timeout, runs 3 hours than returns to Auto