Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with privacy trees

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with privacy trees

I have a neighbors bedroom that can look directly into my pool. I have 2 daughters and there is a lot of male traffic next door. I need to know what is the best trees to plant to cover 15' to 25' in height.

I live in Brentwood ca, an hour from
    SF and an hour from Sacramento. Hot summers cold winters.

The pool is being built this Friday and I am open to all tree suggestions. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with privacy trees

you will have to buy near mature trees..... thats gonna cost some $$$. For evergreens, I prefer Thuja Green Giants as they look a ton better than cedars/junipers, and dont become over bearing.

depending on your situation and current landscaping, you may plant a combination of bushes (Red Tipped Photinia or Boxwoods) in conjunction with a fast growing shade tree like a maple. I have blocked out a few neighbors this way, the bushes take care of it down low, the tree blocks it out up high. Stand where you want to block out and figure out where to plant what to achieve this effect.

unfortunately, I have found that its nearly impossible to get an instant screen. you can get close, but for all the gaps to fill it, it takes frugal watering, a few years, and patience.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help with privacy trees

Quote Originally Posted by gtnos View Post
    For evergreens, I prefer Thuja Green Giants as they look a ton better than cedars/junipers, and dont become over bearing.

depending on your situation and current landscaping, you may plant a combination of bushes (Red Tipped Photinia or Boxwoods)
    I agree about the Arborvitae, they will cover and don't need to be trimmed, I bought the "Emerald Green" arborvitae which is a smaller version since I didn't want them to get too big, since spring of 2011 they have grown from about 2' tall to 4' / 7'. You would prob want the green giants since you need more height. Is the window 1st or 2nd floor? here is a link with some info:http://landscaping.about.com/od/ever...arborvitae.htm. I also have some red stem boxwoods that are over 7" tall and 6' in diameter planted at the same time.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.