Nightmare pool leak over the winter

May 6, 2014
United States
Hi all,
I'm in really big trouble at the moment. I've got a problem that I don't seem to understand. I have an in ground liner pool. I got a leak that drained the pool about 3 feet over the winter. I've got about only 3 inches of water in the shallow end. The liner isn't even 2 years old yet. I patched the first hole I found. Filled the pool about 12 inches. I noticed it was leaking out really slow. Figured, great, another hole. I let it drain back down to where it was. Found another small hole. Patched that one. Filled it only 6 inches. Another hole, except this time I noticed the pool lost its water quickly back to the 3 inches above the shallow end. This hole was in a different area. This hole was a good bit larger and I know it wasn't there before I dumped the 6 inches of water in. I'm fearing that I've got a major problem. The holes have a pattern. They keep popping up on the side the pool linear is not tight against the wall. I might have some water behind the liner, however, that is unlikely because the ground elevation is high. I feel like the leaks are being caused by adding water. The liner feels strong and flexible. It's almost like something is floating behind the pool liner and popping holes in it when the liner is stretched against the wall from just 6 inches of water. I've patched this final hole I found. I haven't attempted to fill the pool yet. I may call a professional if I must, but something is telling me they will just want to put a new liner in. Any expert opinions would be well appreciated. Do you think these are just tears?

Shawn

Hi, welcome to TFP! Liners will shrink if they are allowed to dry out. Even though the liner is not very old, it may have developed a leak at a weak spot, then after the water drained to the point of the leak it shrunk and has begun to tear as it is refilled.

I should have a warranty. I'm not sure if I would qualify.

I decided to dump water back in the pool. I got another tear after about 8 inches of water. I put my wet suit on and patched it. I've filled it past the second step. I can't see any more tears. The liner might have shrunk a little which would explain the tearing They are small and manageable. Having an understanding of why the liner is developing leaks really helps. I think I figured out why it shrunk where it did. The pool cover caved in from the heavy snow this year. The area's where the sun got to the liner is where it is tearing. Now that I have the water up near the jets, I think I might be in the clear. I've check the water level in the morning. If I have to, I'll put my wet suit back on and spend some time looking around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.