Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump will not start

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump will not start

Another year and another issue with this motor I bought. I started the pump and it ran great, I stopped the pump then cleaned the baskets and sucked the **** out of the pump as there were needles. Added some water and started the pump and it click hums. Checked the impeller and it had some crud but nothing that should have caused an issue. Disconnected the power to the pump for a while and still click hums. Figures since I just dumped some shock in the water. Am I looking at a Capacitor?

I checked my capacitor and it fits the specs to this one on Amazon but that one has three sets of connectors were mine has 2 sets.

http://www.amazon.com/Round-Dual-Run...ywords=TRCD305
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump will not start

This is exactly why I open when it's still cold...you know you'll spend three weeks working on equipment.

You checked the impeller already, which is step one. Step two, get to the back of the motor shaft and put a screw driver in the slot and make sure the shaft spins freely. If it does, yes, you're probably looking at a new capacitor. I'll let others who have done it help you match up the new one.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah I was thinking I am glad I started today and not when it was warmer.

I spun the impeller and it seemed fine but I can get a screw driver and check the shaft.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by stew930 View Post
    I spun the impeller and it seemed fine but I can get a screw driver and check the shaft.
    That's probably good enough.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Anyone to chime in on if that Capacitor I found would work?
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Picked this up today and the pump started right up. So glad I was able to get this in town as I almost ordered online with a delivery of next week.

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYT...apacitor-2MEC7

Had the exact same issue last year while in warranty and the manufacture just sent me a new pump without needing the old one back so I bet if I throw a new capacitor on that pump it will work. Have a backup pump if a major issue occurs.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006