Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can gunite be shot when there is a chance of rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can gunite be shot when there is a chance of rain?

My pool is scheduled to be shot on Thursday, but there is a chance of thunder showers. Will the gunite be shot and if it is what are the ramifications of a downpour during or shortly after the process?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can gunite be shot when there is a chance of rain?

Isn't that question best answered by your pool builder?

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah
    You would think

Any helpful responses?

4. Back To Top    #4

If it was me and it was going to rain any more than a light drizzle I'd shut it down. Pool gunite is the backbone to your pool. Why take the chance on it and have to live with any problems you might end up with due to the rain?
    As mentioned before, ask your PB. What did he say? Is he accepting all the risks? If he is, are you willing to go to the wall to make him accept whatever screw up that the rains cause? Does he have a plan in place to control the rain water/runoff?

5. Back To Top    #5

It rained the day our pool was shot. The builder covered the site with a gigantic sheet of plastic and poles. Then, once they were done shooting and forming the shell, they just dropped the plastic down over the shell and weighted it down around the edges with the rough grading material on site.

You're supposed to water cure the shell, but we didn't have to. The builder said the plastic would retain the moisture. They just told me to keep an eye on it, and if I didn't see condensation on the inside of the plastic to just spray the garden hose underneath the plastic until wet. The next crew that came out after the cure removed the plastic and it was perfect.
    Last edited by jefowler4th; 05-07-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Add photo
    21.6K gal gunite/marbelite, 1.5hp Jandy PlusHP pump, 48sqft DE filter, Nature2 Fusion Inground Sanitizer, 400K BTU Raypak Heater, Polaris 360 Cleaner. 8-Jet Spa, 1.5hp Jandy PlusHP jet pump. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.